Description:Salary and Benefits
The starting salary placement depends on qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range of $4,479.00/month to $6,562.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit https://www.csueastbay.edu/hr/benefits/index.html About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability. About the Position
The purpose of the Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) is to provide basic health care and health education services to CSUEB students, and to assist students in achieving and maintaining an optimal state of overall health so they may achieve their academic and career goals.
Under the general direction of the Director, Student Health Services, the Nurse Lead (RN III) is responsible for the operation and oversight of Patient Support Services, which includes Medical Assistants, Health Services Assistant, Clinical Records/Reception staff and Phlebotomist. The Nurse Lead also provides basic skilled nursing services and public health duties, such as flu vaccinations, etc. at the Hayward campus with limited/intermittent coverage at CSU East Bay's Concord campus. Responsibilities
Oversee Clinical Support and Laboratory Services and Perform Clinic Coordination
- Provide lead work direction to Medical Assistants and Clinical Assistants in the performance of clinical support duties.
- Oversee the rooming of patients, obtaining chief complaint and vital signs on all patients, preparing patients for examination by clinicians, and assisting the clinicians in the care of patients, as needed.
- Oversee administration of medication by Medical Assistants as ordered by clinicians, including per injection, depending upon certification of Medical Assistants.
- Oversee the documentation of patient care in the EHR.
- Oversee and coordinate clinic schedules and patient flow.
- Oversee the cleaning and disinfecting of clinic rooms and instruments and preparing rooms for patients.
- Oversee and coordinate the purchase and maintenance of clinic inventory, supplies and equipment.
- Assist in the oversight of Infection Control for SHCS
- Assist in Emergency Response and Disaster preparedness of the SHCS.
- Coordinate with community medical care facilities for patient transfer, referral and follow-up of patient care and ongoing treatment.
- Oversee limited clinical laboratory services, including performance of phlebotomy by the Phlebotomist/Clinical Laboratory Assistant and Medical Assistants, if certified.
- Oversee administration of Clinical Laboratory, including maintenance and calibration of equipment, proficiency testing, and quality assurance activities.
- Ensure compliance with SHCS policies and procedures with regard to nursing services and update nursing policies, procedures and protocols, as needed and in preparation for accreditation.
Perform Skilled Nursing Services
- Evaluate and treat patients within licensure and per nursing protocol at Hayward and the Concord campus, as needed.
- Work directly with the clinicians in treatment of students and provide the initial contact between the student and medical team.
- Follow through on clinicians' orders and give treatment as prescribed.
- Under clinicians' orders, dispense limited supply of medication to students.
- Give bedside nursing care to ill and injured.
- Document patient visit in EHR and maintain other documentation, as needed.
- Perform primary screening, assessment and medical history of complaint, identify problems and symptoms, behavioral changes and other deviations from normal.
- Perform appropriate physical examination and evaluation.
- Order appropriate laboratory tests and x-rays based on clinical assessment using established protocols.
- Develop treatment plan based on clinical assessment using established protocols.
- Perform or assist in special procedures as ordered by the physicians/nurse practitioners: ECG's, spirometry, audiograms, fitting of crutches and other supports, splints, and casts, injections, inhalation therapy. Set up and assist with minor surgery.
- Consult with physician in those cases which lie outside nursing role, licensure, or protocol.
- Provide preventive health services under protocol.
- Provide patient education and teaching when needed.
- May perform University employee occupational health procedures/examinations.
- Gives immunizations and performs other nursing procedures in nursing clinic.
- Perform public health role for the Hayward and Concord campus communities, as indicated.
- Coordinate flu and other immunization clinics for the campus community.
Oversee Front Office Duties of Reception, Intake and Electronic Health Records
- Provide lead work direction to Clinical Assistants and Medical Assistants in performance of Reception and Patient Intake duties.
- Oversee interpretation of scope and policies of Student Health & Counseling Services to students and staff, University personnel and visitors who make inquiries both in person and on the telephone.
- Oversee the interpretation of the effective use of all services offered in the Student Health & Counseling Services.
- Oversee the making of appointments for students and instructing them in self-appointment-making in the Electronic Patient Management (HER) system.
- Oversee patient verification and (self) check-in for appointments.
- Oversee the collection of fees for service and accurate financial record-keeping.
- Oversee maintenance and confidentiality of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) and help ensure compliance with HIPAA, FERPA and AAAHC, Inc. standards.
- Oversee the maintenance and disposal of confidential medical and counseling records according to legal and ethical recommendations.
- Manage Family PACT enrollment; maintain a working knowledge of the state-run Medical program regulations in regards to eligibility, enrollment and service provisions.
- Oversee creation and monitoring of appointment schedules for clinicians and counselors to include blocking and revising of providers' appointments.
- Oversee processing of subpoenas, workers' compensation claims, etc.
- Oversee the CSU immunization requirement documentation to ensure University compliance with Executive Order 803.
- Oversee new staff orientation and training of new and current staff.
- Provide feedback to the appropriate Administrator on performance issues and employee evaluations.
- Update and maintain Patient Support Services policies and procedures and assist SHCS in preparation for Accreditation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director, Student Health Services.
- Knowledge of health care related state and federal laws and guidelines pertaining to the practice of medicine, nursing, laboratory, radiology, public health, HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), and the operation of a medical clinic, such as Cal-OSHA regulations, Center for Disease Control (CDC), and Infection Control/Universal Precautions required.
- Possession of professional skills in health care management (appropriate licensure if RN or RNP), organizational, leadership and communication skills highly desirable.
- Possesses a good understanding of the operations of a medical facility, preferably ambulatory care clinic or college health services.
- Possession of a working knowledge of effective lead methods and techniques and more comprehensive understanding of nursing programs and specialties.
- Ability to provide effective lead work direction, plan and organize the work of others, assess, plan, develop, implement and evaluate a nursing program.
- Knowledge of basic word processing, Microsoft Excel, Google Suite and various electronic health records systems.
- Equipment used in the performance of duties are but is not limited to: Specialized medical software program for Electronic Medical Records, scheduling appointments and obtaining statistics. Automatic External Defibrillator, Oxygen, Cryotherapy, EKG, Liquid Nitrogen, Audiometer and Spirometer. Incumbent is expected to be proficient in using these standard equipment.
This position requires standing for long periods of time, as well as walking back and forth between the back and front offices. May also sit for periods of time at the computer, on occasion. May have contact with some hazardous materials including blood and other potentially infectious material. Ability drive to and from the Hayward and Concord campuses and work in CSUEB's satellite campuses. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. Ability to run short distances in emergency situations. Minimum Qualifications
In addition to those of the Registered Nurse I and II, possess a working knowledge of effective supervisory methods and techniques; more comprehensive understanding of nursing programs and specialties.
In addition to those of the Registered Nurse I and II, ability to provide effective work direction; plan and organize the work of others; assess, plan, develop, implement and evaluate a nursing program which may include one or more nursing specialties or clinics.
Education and Experience:
In addition to those of the Registered Nurse I, three years of progressively responsible professional nursing experience which has provided evidence of the ability to perform the nursing duties described above and has included administrative and lead responsibilities; or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
License and Certifications:
Possess and maintain a valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of California and certification in CPR/AED. Preferred Skills and Knowledge
Condition(s) of Employment
- Possession of a Bachelor's of Science degree in Nursing (BSN) is highly desirable.
- Understanding of collective bargaining agreements and contracts in general.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department. EEO Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body. Other Information
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html Sponsorship
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions. Mandated Reporter
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat. com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled