The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of COMMUNITY & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
(Non-Classified) to fill one (1) vacancy in the Community & Economic Development Department. The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The Community & Economic Development Director is under executive direction of the City Manager, to plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Planning, Code Enforcement, and Building and Safety functions, Real Property, Housing and Neighborhood, and successor agency; to coordinate assigned activities with other City Departments and outside agencies; and to do related work as required.
The City of Riverside is seeking a highly-experienced professional to lead, inspire, and manage the day-to-day activities of the Community & Economic Development Department. The successful candidate will have a broad background in economic development, and city planning, and a strong track record of success in managing a multi-faceted department. This non-classified, at-will position is a key member of the City Manager's Executive Leadership Team and requires an employment agreement.
The senior-level executive will be results-driven -- dedicated to facilitating investment that reinforces Riverside's quality of life -- with well-grounded ethical decision-making skills, superior interpersonal and communication skills, and outstanding public speaking abilities.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Advance the City's sustainability triple bottom line approach of economic prosperity, environmental stewardship and social responsibility through innovation, outreach, assistance, and collaboration.
- Align department activities with City Council's Envision Riverside 2025.
- Ensure efficient and effective community development services in partnership with other City departments and regulatory agencies.
- Promote, articulate, and be responsible for a commitment to excellent customer service.
- Implement continuous improvement of development review systems and practices to ensure great outcomes with minimal regulatory and procedural impact.
The ideal candidate will be a high energy, confident, and accomplished professional with a proven background in city planning and economic development. The individual must possess a highly collaborative style and be capable of working across city departments, with the City Council as well as business and community stakeholders to ensure retention and successful economic development initiatives. The selected candidate will be an outstanding critical thinker, visionary, and communicator who is comfortable interacting with and presenting to elected officials, the business community, environmental stewards, neighborhood residents, and all others who make Riverside a wonderfully diverse community.
The ideal candidate should be familiar with current and emerging city planning, downtown investment, and real estate development trends, as well as industry clusters such as health care and medical services, education, food production and agriculture, advance manufacturing, technology, entertainment, restaurants, and retail. The City of Riverside is looking for a seasoned city planning and economic development professional who can continue to mold a high-performing city and can develop its community resources one success at a time.
Other key competencies and responsibilities of this position:
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION VIEW THE RECRUITMENT BROCHURE.
- Manage city planning and economic development activities to advance a prosperous City by promoting orderly growth and development.
- Cultivate and strengthen the City's partnerships with local and regional external organizations.
- Administer the City's economic development initiatives, as well as business expansion, attraction, and retention through implementation and coordination of strategies and tactics focused on encouraging a healthy and stable business environment; and
- Coordinate with other City departments and external organizations to advance and communicate the city initiatives and accomplishments in economic development to local, regional, national, and international audiences.
To be considered for the position, submit the following:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
4) Cover Letter which outlines why you are the ideal candidate for the position.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct community development activities through appropriate organizational and management practices including current and advanced planning, zoning annexations, code enforcement and building inspection, real property, housing and neighborhood and successor agency; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Plan, recommend and direct implementation of policies and strategies for the growth and development of the community.
- Assess administrative support systems and coordinate with the Chief Information Officer to translate needs to automated systems where appropriate and necessary.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct the implementation of changes.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the Department's budget; forecast the needs additional funds for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approval for expenditures; direct the preparation of and implement budgetary adjustments are necessary.
- Serve as an advisor to the City Council, City Manager and appointed boards, commissions, administrative committees and citizen's committees on community development matters and explain new and revised programs to the City Council, professional and citizen groups.
- Act in the capacity of Planning Director in meetings of the Planning Commission.
- Plan, direct and coordinate the Community Development Department's work plan; meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate work methods and procedures.
- Coordinate Community Development Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies, organizations and residents.
- Conduct a variety of organizational studies, investigations and operational studies; recommend modifications to Community Development programs, policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical and administrative support staff.
Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, public or business administration or a closely related field. A Master's Degree is highly desirable.Experience:
Ten years of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory management experience in community development, urban planning, redevelopment or a closely related field.Necessary Special Requirement:
Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
4) Cover Letter which outlines why you are the ideal candidate for the position.IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment. The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background
investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list.EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
A. An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/
B. An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the
assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.