Currently two (2) vacancies in the Community Development department. This position is open on a continuous bases and until vacancies are filled. This recruitment may close without prior notice, interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. DEFINITION
Under direct supervision, performs a variety of technical and administrative office planning work related to current and advance planning, including review of development and land use applications, zoning, site plans, and environmental documents; completes technical assessments and prepares written project analyses; provides advice and assistance to the public on planning, community development, zoning, permits, and environmental review; provides staff assistance to the Planning Manager, other departments, and the public in areas of expertise; and performs related work as required. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from the Planning Manager. Exercises no supervision of staff. CLASS CHARACTERISTICS
This is the para-professional level class in the professional planning series. Incumbents at this level are not expected to have directly related work experience, but are expected to have acquired planning-related training. Assignments are generally limited in scope and set within procedural frameworks established by higher-level positions. This classification is distinguished from the Assistant Planner as the latter performs professional planning work and analysis. Examples of Duties EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
Typical Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Assists the public at the front counter, on the phone, and occasionally in the field,answering questions and providing information regarding zoning, development standards,and approved development proposals; performs plan check functions for various projects,receives and reviews applications for planning permits for completeness; reviews applications for building permits for compliance with applicable zoning standards;investigates complaints and recommends corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints concerning the City's planning function.
- Reviews and signs off on plans submitted for building plan check and permits.
- Provides assistance to the professional planners, Planning Manager, or Community Development Director on basic current planning projects, which includes application and plan review, coordination with project applicants, preparation and posting of legal notices,background research, preparation of staff reports, monitoring of project implementation to verify substantial conformance with approved plans, and conditions of approval and mitigation measures.
- Researches land use and development entitlements and prepares documentation letters for lending institutions, real estate brokers, or property owners.
- Prepares forms and provides graphic displays, photographs, or other exhibits as needed.
- Performs administrative duties including typing, filing, copying documents, and record keeping.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Basic principles and practices of urban and regional planning and zoning.
- Geographic, socio-economic, transportation, and other elements related to city planning.
- Site planning and architectural design principles.
- Basic concepts of architecture, landscaping, traffic and transportation engineering as they relate to the process of urban planning.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and requirements and related reports.
- Researching and reporting methods, techniques, and procedures.
- Recent developments, current literature, and sources of information related to planning,zoning, and environmental review.
- Principles of advanced mathematics and their application to planning work.
- Methods and techniques of effective technical report preparation and presentation.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and City staff.
Education and Experience:
- Interpret planning and zoning programs to the general public; identify and respond to issues and concerns of the public.
- Read plans and specifications and make site visits.
- Conduct routine research projects, evaluate alternatives, and make sound recommendations.
- Read, interpret, apply, and explain technical written material and complex Federal, State,and local policies, procedures, laws, regulations, ordinances, and City planning policies and procedures.
- Read and understand technical drawings and specifications.
- Perform mathematical and planning computations with precision.
- Prepare and present clear, concise, and logical written and oral reports, correspondence,policies, procedures, and other written materials.
- Make sound decisions within established policy and procedural guidelines.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record-keeping, and tracking systems.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural,and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in planning,architecture or public administration OR equivalent to Associate's degree in a related field and two (2) years of experience in a public or private planning agency performing technical planning tasks.Licenses and Certifications:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver's License by time of appointment.
Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese is desirable but not required. Supplemental Information PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment,including a computer, to inspect City development sites, including traversing uneven terrain,climbing ladders, stairs, and other temporary or construction access points; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various City and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may work in the field and occasionally be exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Updated on 3/22/22 for Open Until Filled