Description:Salary and Benefits
Salary Range: $3,098.00/month to $5,605.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit https://www.csueastbay.edu/hr/benefits/index.html About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability. About the Position
This position works with the faculty in performing classroom demonstrations regarding shop tools and theatre mechanics. Works with the faculty to provide training and supervision of students involved in the production courses. Generally, the courses involve the building and installation of scenery, props, lighting, sound, special effects, rigging and similar technical stage work.
Provides technical support and student and staff guidance for design aspects of departmental productions, particularly carpentry, painting, rigging, drafting and props. The position also includes some work with lighting, sound, and special effects. Assists in maintaining University Theatre technical systems. Assists in the management and coordination of staffing theatre technical operations associated with presentations in the theatre by on-campus and outside users. PLEASE NOTE: This is a 10/12 pay plan position. The incumbent will work 10 months out of the year (August - May) with the salary spread over 12 months. Responsibilities Lead construction of sets, props and effects
Assist in planning and installation of all technical elements for departmental productions
- Train and lead student construction crews populated by the production courses (T381/T382) and other production related courses.
- Lead intermittent employees in construction, painting and backstage work.
- Evaluate designs for construction, materials and budget, including technical drafting as needed.
- Lead construction, installation, and finish of designs, including counterweight rigging.
- Maintain a safe work environment.
Organization of shops, stage and related technical areas for safe and efficient operations
- Assist with installation of lighting, sound, effects and projections for department productions.
- Assist faculty in training and supervising student run crews for departmental productions.
Assist outside users of University Theatre
- Purchase, stock and maintain materials and tools, especially for the scene shop.
- Maintain spending budget for production materials.
- Maintain safety equipment and procedures for a safe working environment.
- Advise on replacement and/or renovation of theatre systems and equipment.
- Maintain neat and organized shops and storage areas for tools, supplies and equipment.
- Maintain dumpsters in loading dock and ensure loading dock is secure.
Note: Some duties will require working nights and weekends. Required Qualifications
- Evaluate technical needs for outside users.
- Train and assign staff, including student staff, for events in the University Theatre.
- Periodically supervise events in the University Theatre
- Oversee the renting and borrowing of Department assets including the pulling and restocking of borrowed items.
- Stage design related to scenery, lights, sound, props and special effects.
- Scheduling, organizing crews, budgeting, purchasing, and technical operations of the theatre.
- Selecting and using materials, tools and equipment of stage technology.
- Using computers for stage technology applications.
- Draft and read plans for stage construction and installation, including use of Vectorworks and/or AutoCAD.
- Analyze scripts and production designs for budgeting, construction and performance.
- Construct stage scenery using standard stage carpentry for wood and metal construction.
- Provide general maintenance of tools and equipment used in stage technology applications.
- Construct and organize props.
- Hang/focus lights and operate a computer light board.
- Set up multi-channel sound for PA and recording.
- Operate digital projectors.
- Lead and organize student crews in technical operations of shows.
- Advise faculty, theatre users, and artistic personnel about safe and affordable technical solutions to production needs and designs.
Valid California driver's license required. Minimum Qualifications
Preferred Skills and Knowledge Condition(s) of Employment
- One to two years of experience working for a theater, repertory or stock company engaged in the applicable production specialty such as costume construction, stage and set construction, lighting production, and/or sound/audio production. (This background normally would be achieved through professional training or applicable college coursework and practical experience.)
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department. EEO Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body. Other Information
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html Sponsorship
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer. Mandated Reporter
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat. com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled