The Position This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on6/29/22, 7/29/22, 8/30/22 (final)
Under general supervision, performs skilled plumbing work at the journey level. Incumbents employ standard trade practices and skills to install, maintain, and repair County owned plumbing systems. Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Occupational hazards and safety rules and regulations of the plumbing trade
- Current laws, codes, and ordinances regulating all aspects of plumbing
- Standard methods, tools, equipment, and materials used in the plumbing trade
- Theory and operation of plumbing systems and fixtures
- Hydraulics as it relates to flow rates, pipe sizes, and water pressures
- The use and care of plumbing tools and equipment
- Basic recordkeeping procedures
- Basic mathematics
- Basic computer use
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Work in a safe manner in accordance with government codes, and safety rules and regulations of the trade
- Perform all aspects of journey level plumbing work
- Interpret, understand, and work from blueprints, shop drawings, and manuals
- Compute labor and material costs
- Maintain accurate records of labor and materials
- Work independently or as part of a crew
- Read, write and speak English at a level necessary to perform the job
- Interact and communicate cooperatively and effectively with crew members, customer departments, County employees, and the public
Either: 1. Successful completion of a plumber apprenticeship program and one (1) year of journey level plumbing experience.
Or: 2. Five years (5) years of full-time plumbing experience. One (1) year of the experience must have been at the journey level.Note:
A General Building Contractor license will not be accepted as a substitute for the minimum qualifications stated above.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
Background and Criminal History Check: The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
Positions in this class require possession of a valid State of California Driver License, Class C or higher, at the time of appointment. Failure to maintain appropriate valid California Driver License constitutes cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Stand, walk, bend, kneel and squat or stoop nearly continuously
- Manual dexterity to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects of varying shapes and size with precision and coordination
- Climb and work from ladders
- Lift and move equipment weighing up to 65 pounds
- Work while wearing approved personal protective equipment as required including respirators
Individuals who do not meet these requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Assignments may occasionally include working in or around:
- A variety of facilities such as but not limited to prison facilities, mental health care facilities, animal care facilities, and coroner laboratories
- Open sewage, loud or noisy conditions
- All types of weather conditions, or inside with or without temperature controls
- Work in the presence of dust, fumes, and toxic materials
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply. County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service Email
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 8/30/2022 5:00 PM Pacific