JOB SUMMARY JOB SUMMARY
Assists in supervising the activities of subordinate personnel; acts on behalf of the Parks Maintenance Crew Leader as required; operates, inspects, and maintains various types of light to heavy equipment used in the maintenance, construction, and/or repair of City parks; 29 city facilities; performs various types of grounds and facility maintenance tasks; assists in the construction and/or renovation of park structures; provides assistance in maintaining athletic fields; provides assistance in maintaining 1699 acres of park spaces; provides assistance in maintaining designated downtown facilities; prepares maintenance documentation; and performs other related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Operates various types of light and heavy maintenance, construction, and/or repair equipment including but not limited to backhoes, loaders, blades, dump trucks, bucket truck, trencher, line mowers, gang mowers, tractors, chipper, graffiti removal, and aerator.
- Conducts routine grounds maintenance work:
- Mows and maintains lawns and/or other turf areas.
- Removes and disposes of trash and debris from grounds.
- Assists other City departments regarding emergency situations.
- Operates various types of light and medium maintenance, construction, and/or repair equipment including but not limited to line mowers, gang mowers, tractors, bucket truck, chipper, graffiti blaster, aerator; utilizes chain saws, weed eaters, welders, and other power tools.
- Performs gardening/landscape application to include pesticide, herbicide and fertilizer.
- Participates in soil and turf management.
- Assists the Parks Maintenance Crew Leader in supervising other equipment operators.
- Assesses and determines types of equipment and/or materials required for maintenance and repair of park buildings, structures, and related public facilities.
- Provides assistance in the construction and/or renovation of park and facility structures.
- Performs plumbing repairs; assists in installing irrigation systems.
- Participates in preparing and maintaining athletic fields and fertilization program.
- Leads City-sponsored special events set-ups of tents, tables, and chairs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) Minimum Requirements
- This position works under general supervision.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Five (5) years parks/grounds maintenance and/or other related experience (construction or repair) is required.
- Five (5) years operating light to medium equipment is required.
- One (1) year experience as a lead worker required.
- Class B CDL within 6 months of employment.
- Valid Texas Driver's license with acceptable driving record required.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Must be able to read and comprehend maintenance documentation and repair manuals.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with departmental staff, vendors, and the general public.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 100 pounds frequently. Subject to standing and walking frequently; sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, fine dexterity, kneeling, bending, twisting, climbing, balancing, hearing, talking and foot controls occasionally; crouching and crawling rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, machinery with moving parts, hazardous materials/ chemicals, and infectious diseases is involved; utilizes personal protective equipment as necessary. Safety Sensitive Position.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F
Closing Date/Time: Continuous