Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) has an excellent opportunity for an outstanding professional with strong design expertise and technical leadership skills, to support the successful project delivery of the capital improvement projects of SPU. This position is crucial in the functioning of the Water Engineering Group, to support the large volume of work within the Water Line of Business at SPU.If this looks like an exciting opportunity, please continue reading and apply!~1st consideration will be given to candidates who apply by Tues. June 14th ~About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
SPU is committed to increasing racial equity, diversity, and inclusion through our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
We know work isn't only about what you do it’s also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
Job Responsibilities Here's some of what you would be doing in this Sr. Civil Engineering role :
Perform Project Engineer/technical lead duties
- Prepare technically complex engineering designs for water system capital improvement projects
- Prepare reports, technical specifications, engineer’s estimates, and plans using sound engineering principles, standard practices and procedures of civil engineering and asset management
- Prepare schematic, preliminary, final plans of civil features of water utility related design work such as water conveyance pipes, pump stations, valving, cathodic protection, water system appurtenances, site restoration, ADA ramp design, erosion control, etc.
- Provide engineering services in support of the water system a during different project phases (Planning, Option analysis, Design, and Construction phases)
- Prepare options analysis/preliminary engineering report, design package (plans, specifications, and estimates), and basis of design and basis of estimate documentation
- Prepare and stamp design drawings and technical specifications
- Provide input to project schedule and Project Management Plans
- Conduct site visits to perform internal confined space pipe inspections of large diameter pipelines, perform field investigations and assist in constructability reviews
- Provide construction support including reviewing submittals, attending meetings, and visiting job sites
- Research and specify specialized water system elements such as earthquake resistant pipe.
- Assist staff within the Project Delivery and Engineering Branch (PDEB), the Drinking Water line of business, and consultants on questions related to SPU’s water system
- Coordinate with other City departments or outside agencies related to SPU’s water system
- Conduct records research, field visits and conditional assessments of water assets
- Make presentations as assigned
- Work as a member of the project team, actively and effectively communicating with team members and other SPU branches, City Departments, and external agencies
- Ensure projects use appropriate engineering design principles, practices and procedures, estimating techniques, construction methods and principles and adhere to SPU’s design standards
- Act as SPU’s project technical lead, responsible for facilitating technical design decisions and coordinating SPU’s QA/QC process
- Coordinate and manage technical review comments from multi-disciplinary teams including SPU designers, SPU stakeholders (such as field operations and maintenance) and consultant designers
- Review and check in-house designs and calculations
- Oversee and lead activities of a design team
Five (5) years' of professional civil engineering experienceEducation:
Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering~Combinations of education and/or training and/or experience, which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class will be considered.~License Requirement(s):
To be successful in this role, a candidate should possess at least three (3) of the following technical knowledge &/or experience in utility design, as well as leadership skills and abilities:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington
- Current Washington State driver's license to travel to project/construction sites
- Water system design, including pipe systems (transmission and distribution system), valves, storage facilities, pump stations, cathodic protection, etc.
- Seismic design using different pipe and fitting materials. This includes design of HDPE pipe, Steel pipe, and ERDIP.
- Design of water main rehabilitation with trenchless technologies such as CIPP, slip-lining and horizontal directional drilling for water mains.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Civil3D.
- Design of large and complex thrust restraint systems.
Leadership qualities such as :
- Proactive, responsive, flexible, and organized.
- Ability to motivate team members to produce quality work, on time and on budget
- Open minded and patient with changes and process.
- Able to listen well and work in a diverse team environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to give clear instructions as well as follow directions.
- Develop effective working relationship with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work within the organizational framework of SPU Workplace Expectations including our values on Safety, Respect, Diversity, Trust, Humor, Productivity, Integrity, Innovation, and Partnership
- Communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base.
Additional Information Application Requirement(s):
~Candidates submitting an incomplete Application Packages will NOT be considered~ City of Seattle COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume outlining your skills and experience, related to this position.
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of a job offer. Workplace Environment (*Telework Expectation):
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 state and local restrictions, hybrid telework/office work will be available until at least the fall of 2022; consistent with HR guidelines, and as circumstances dictate. We continue to seek guidance from local public health agencies and will proceed accordingly with any necessary changed or needs regarding "workplace location" expectations. Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: Continuous