Position Description Have you ever thought about working for the City of Seattle?
Working as a temporary can provide you with an opportunity to get your foot in the door and experience working in a variety of City offices and departments.
Currently, the City of Seattle's Temporary Employment Service (TES) is seeking qualified applicants for two Accounting Technician titles. This application process is being conducted in order to establish pools for Accounting Tech II and Accounting Tech III needs throughout the City. Temporary jobs may be full or part-time, days of the week and hours may vary as may work locations.
Temporary workers are employed by the City and assignments usually range from two weeks up to six months or longer. Some temporary employees perform represented work, and are governed by a collective bargaining agreement between the City and PTE Local 17, Administrative Support Unit.
Job Responsibilities Listed below are examples of the type of work done by Accounting TechniciansAccounting Technician II:
Accounting Technician III:
- Processes invoices for payment and reviews and audits invoices to ensure accuracy
- Prepares payroll/personnel documents and updates files to ensure proper and accurate employee, salary and benefit information
- Posts accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Verifies and balances all journal and ledger entries
- Serves a lead worker to coordinate assignments, resolve problems, monitor work and provide instruction on tasks and proper work methods
- Performs more complex duties related to reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports or statements
- Researches and resolves difficult billing inquiries and account and budget information requested by internal or external customers
Qualifications Accounting Technician II:
Requires two years of accounting/bookkeeping experience or one year of experience as an Accounting Technician I (or a combination of education/training/experience which provides an equivalent background needed to perform the job successfully).Accounting Technician III:
Requires three years of accounting/bookkeeping experience or one year of work experience as an Accounting Technician II (or a combination of education/training/experience which provides an equivalent background needed to perform the job successfully).
All Accounting Technician temporary placements, departments prefer:
Please complete the online application and attach a current resume.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial record keeping methods, procedures and practices and a basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Knowledge of the City's Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and the Financial Management System
- Strong written and oral communications skills as well as a focus on listening Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov