PROCUREMENT CONTRACT SPECIALIST
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open Eligible List to fill current and future Procurement Contract Specialist positions. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower-level classifications throughout the County of Orange.DEADLINE TO APPLY *UPDATE*
This recruitment will now be open on a continuous basis. until 11:59 p.m. (PST) on the day the Counties needs are metFirst Round of Consideration:
Tuesday, July 5, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. (PST).
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.THE OPPORTUNITY
The County of Orange
has an exciting opportunity for a Procurement Contract Specialist. The successful candidate will be responsible for processing highly complex solicitations including Request for Proposals (RFPs) and Invitation for Bids (IFBs), for various types of commodity and service contracts including those for Professional Services and Consultant Services. There are immediate vacancies within our County Executive Office
, the County Procurement Office
, Finance Office
, OC Public Works
, and John Wayne Airport
; however, the list established through this recruitment may be used by any departments within the County of Orange. DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will possess relevant buyer experience. Although not required, a Bachelor's degree is highly desirable. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following core competencies:Technical Knowledge/Skills
- Knowledgeable about the purchasing process, contract negotiations
- Understanding of ethics, principles, and practices of professional procurement
- Conducting complex procurement activities such as RFPs and IFBs to acquire services, commodities, professional services, consultant services, and/or management information systems
- Interpreting multiple policies and making appropriate recommendations in adherence with relevant procurement or contract policies
- Determining types of contracts necessary to procure a wide variety of services
- Establishing and monitoring appropriate contract negotiation methods and techniques
- Interpreting local laws, ordinances, and state and federal procurement regulations concerning contractual agreements between government agencies and private contractors
Decision Making/Problem Solving
- Utilizing tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality in dealing with difficult and sensitive situations
- Working effectively as part of a team to tackle and resolve issues; providing creative solutions to problems that achieve program and project objectives
- Building effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, County elected officials, and staff to ensure departmental goals are accomplished
- Adhering to high ethical standards in all interactions with relevant parties
- Integrating new ideas and contemporary approaches into problem-solving
- Gathering, analyzing, and applying information skillfully
- Identifying, evaluating, and resolving issues as they arise, using decision-making abilities and technical expertise
- Developing solutions, proposing solutions, achieving measurable results, and implementing best business practices
- Possess excellent written communication skills for gathering, evaluating, and preparing well-organized reports, correspondences, and other written documents using proper English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Possess excellent oral communication skills to interact, communicate, and function under stressful situations
- Utilizing various management information systems and automation tools to maintain and access information and electronic communications via desktop computer systems and computer networks
- Working effectively with various levels of the organization, including staff, supervisors, and upper-level management
Please note deputization as a Deputy Purchasing Agent is required within 12 months of employment.
Please click here
to view the minimum qualifications as well as the physical, mental, environmental & working conditions for the classification. NOTE:
Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Services (N.A.C.E.S.). RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After the screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment.Application Screening | (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Online Assessment | (Refer/Non-Refer)
Candidates who meet desirable qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Candidates will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Structured Oral Interview | SOI (Weighted 100%)
Candidates will be interviewed and rated by a panel of subject matter experts. Each candidate's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the candidate's qualifications for the job. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.Veterans Employment Preference Policy (VEPP)
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID19 testing.
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted. (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.EMAIL NOTIFICATIONEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Robert Swain
at 714-834-7252 or by email at Robert.Swain@ocgov.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.