Introduction ***As of Sunday, 6/19/2022, the bi-weekly salary range increased to $,2432.00 to $3,534.40***
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About the Position
The city of Scottsdale's McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park is seeking a full-time Railroad Crew Chief to support the wide range of railroad operations at the 30-acre railroad themed specialty park. The park operates and maintains a fully functional 15" gauge railroad, which includes diesel, steam and electric locomotives, and a wide range of riding cars and specialty equipment.
Railroad operations staff are responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of the park's train engines and riding stock, which includes the machining and fabrication of custom parts, engine systems diagnostics and steam locomotive operation and maintenance. Our railroad operations staff are also responsible for the installation, maintenance and replacement of the park's one-mile railroad track.
Additional duties include maintenance on the park's antique carousel, special event support, and a variety of miscellaneous maintenance duties throughout the park. While a great deal of the position's responsibilities are centered on railroad operations, the position will support a range of other park maintenance operations, including but not limited to painting, welding, building maintenance, landscape maintenance, track replacement, safety inspections and reporting and supporting the maintenance functions of the park's signature special events. Please Note:
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in machining, Tool & Die, welding, fabrication, or a related field.
- Although posted continuously until filled, a first look of applications will not take place until Wednesday, 6/29/2022.
- Interviews may be conducted periodically throughout the continuous posting.
- This job posting may close early if a significant number of applications are received; which may take place without advance notice .
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Drug Screening
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Four years of experience in automotive maintenance and repair.
- Must have at least six months of Lead or Supervisory experience.
- Preferred: experience in machining, Tool & Die, welding, fabrication or a related field.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles requires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocating to the State of Arizona.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Schedules, assigns and approves/disapproves a wide variety of repair, preventive maintenance, or quality assurance inspection tasks performed by variously skilled employees assigned to work on steam-powered locomotive engines and railroad-related equipment.
- Develops and fabricates custom parts when necessary.
- Uses and instructs others in the use of hand and power tools and equipment associated with either diesel and steam-powered locomotive engines and railroad-related equipment.
- Performs and instructs others in the removal, tear down, rebuild, adjust, reinstall, align and mesh of locomotive components and assemblies.
- Develops and maintains training program and procedures for all railroad related equipment and the park's antique carousel. Includes developing standard operating procedures (SOPs) job safety analysis (JSAs), equipment qualification procedures and the execution of staff training for all related railroad equipment.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click HERE to review the entire job description. The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Lifts and moves up to 50 pounds.
- Works days, nights, or weekend shifts and/or an alternative schedule as required.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous