Under general supervision, perform a variety of manual labor and maintenance duties including the operation of various power-driven machines, equipment and vehicles in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance and replacement of City water, streets, sewer, and storm drainage systems and facilities and perform other related duties as required.
Maintenance Worker I is the entry-level position assigned to the maintenance, water or wastewater sections of the Public Works Department. Positions in this class are distinguished by the performance of unskilled and semi-skilled duties under the direction of a lead person or supervisor.
Positions in this class are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit and may also be assigned to act as leader of a small work crew for projects of limited scope and duration. Positions may be required to work shifts, weekends and/or holidays.
The listed tasks are essential to this class and may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Operate a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment and tools such as chemical and oil sprayers, light rollers, compressors and related pneumatic tools, generators, chainsaws, trenchers, root saws, vibratory compactors, demolition hammers, drills, and hydraulic equipment.
- Drive and operate trucks of various sizes and weights, rubber tired loaders, backhoes and other equipment.
- Load and unload equipment, tools, gravel, sand and other products, supplies or materials related to light and heavy duty maintenance and repair activities; paint various structures, machines, and facilities.
- Prepare and finish interior and exterior surfaces with oil and water based paints, stains and varnishes, and use related solvents.
- Clean and maintain equipment and tools.
- Clear, clean and repair irrigation, sewer, gas, pneumatic and water lines; clean storm drains, catch basins, drainage ditches and culverts.
- Lift and move heavy objects.
- Cut pavement using gasoline and electric dry and wet cutting equipment; saw cut and break out old concrete or asphalt.
- Dig ditches and trenches, lay asphalt and pour concrete.
- Assist in maintaining and constructing walkways, roads and other miscellaneous public facilities and properties; patch streets and alleys using hand or powered tools.
- Lay pipe and place cable and backfill as needed.
- Install, maintain and repair sprinkler systems, water mains and other water utility components.
- Install, remove and replace water meters as needed.
- Place traffic controls, warning signs and act as flag person as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous tasks to assist tradesmen and semi-skilled workers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES Training, License and Experience:
- One year of experience performing construction, repair, water, or maintenance functions.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license at the time of employment.
- Persons hired at the Maintenance Worker I level after April 30, 1997, must obtain a Class “A” driver’s license with tanker endorsement within one year of appointment.
- The methods, tools, and equipment used in maintenance, construction and repair work.
- Basic techniques of carpentry, plumbing, painting and welding.
- Methods and techniques of concrete finishing and repair.
- Workplace safety precautions and practices necessary when operating and working with tools, vehicles and heavy/light duty equipment.
- Ability to: lift, carry, and move heavy objects, perform heavy semiskilled labor, perform strenuous manual labor at varied locations, safely use, care for and maintain tools and equipment, recognize and be alert to hazardous situations.
- Follow verbal and written instructions and work cooperatively with others.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
All applicants will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this job announcement. Candidates will be reviewed and only those candidates determined to be most qualified on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted, will be invited to participate further in the selection process. The filing period will remain open until the needs of the department have been met. NOTE: A drug test may be administered as part of the pre-employment medical exam. The provisions of this brochure do not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
The City of Manhattan Beach offers a generous benefit package to fulll-time and eligible employees including PERS medical plans, dental, vision, long-term and short-term disability, tuition reimbursement, and many more.
To see detailed information aboutTeamsters
bargaining unit benefits, please visit our benefit page
on City official website.