Description: Instructional & Reference Librarian
- Position: Assistant Librarian (Temporary Non-Instructional Faculty)
- Term/Academic Year: 1-year term for AY 2022-2023
- College/Unit: University Library
- Department: Teaching & Learning
The University Library at California State University at San Marcos (CSUSM) seeks two temporary full-time Library faculty positions within the Teaching & Learning (TAL) program for the 2022/23 academic year. These positions will provide information literacy instruction to first year experience and general education courses, provide reference/research help at the library's Research Help Desk (both in-person/on-campus and virtually), and participate in library faculty meetings. Some instruction and on-call research help hours will be scheduled for evenings and weekends. Other instructional and/or reference/research help duties and projects may be assigned. Minimum qualifications:
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent before start date.
- Experience providing reference and instruction in a library setting.
- Ability to work with instructionally-related technologies.
- High level of self-motivation, enthusiasm, and flexibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with colleagues, students, faculty, and staff.
- Per the California State University's Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is prohibited from hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. Working in the State of California is a condition of employment
Salary commensurate with degree level and experience.
- Experience in an academic library setting.
- Experience working with first-year college students.
- Recent experience providing reference and instruction in an academic library.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and/or intercultural competence with diverse groups in relation to teaching.
Rank and salary is at the Assistant Librarian level. This position is contingent on funding. Application:
To apply, please prepare to submit the following:
- Your completed faculty application
- Curriculum Vitae (uploaded)
- Contact information for three current references
- Letter of interest (uploaded)
A review of applications will begin on June 23, 2022; however, the position will remain open until filled.
The University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit Faculty Opportunities
for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
Per the California State University's Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is prohibited from hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. Working in the State of California is a condition of employment
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised December 22, 2020
as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon execution of an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect form. Signing the form is a prerequisite to employment and failure to sign will result in any offer of employment being withdrawn.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy, can be found at CSU Covid Policy
. Questions should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled