Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
This position will be filled at one of the following based on qualifications:
- Lifeguard I ($16.00 per hour): Must be 15 years of age; and have required certifications. This position is restricted to limited hours and locations during the summer only (summer is defined by AISD school calendar).
- Lifeguard II ($16.00 per hour): Must be 16 years of age; and have required certifications.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Lifeguard III ($16.25 per hour): Must be 17 years of age; and have required certifications.
Notes to Applicants
- Current StarGuard Elite Lifeguard, AED , CPR , and First Aid Certification.
- Training and Certifications are offered by the Parks and Recreation Department. Please email AquaticsOffice@austintexas.gov, for more information.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD )
provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.Position Information:
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- The purpose of the Lifeguard I- III position is to: provide safety and recreational services for the City of Austin Municipal pools system.
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to thirty-five (35) pounds. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues; and tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement. Ability to adapt to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching; and frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities. Work outdoors in any and all types of weather and/or inclement conditions; and at times in confined spaces.
- Post Application Process: Once your completed application is submitted, the Parks and Recreation Aquatics team will contact you regarding next steps in the hiring process; including training class schedules, certifications and paperwork required.
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$16.00 - $16.25 per hour Hours Work Schedule:
Job Close Date
- Variable - Up to 40 hours per week.
- Evenings, Weekends, & Holidays are required.
- May be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs.
08/29/2022 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various pools and recreation centers Preferred Qualifications Preferred Experience:
- Previous lifeguard experience preferred but is not necessary.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include but are not limited to:
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Responsible for the safety of pool patrons by preventing accidents and responding quickly to emergency situations. Must know and be able to perform all skills required for certifications. Must follow and enforce pool policies and rules at all times. Performs routine maintenance to pool area i.e. vacuum, pick up trash. Must be able to verbally communicate with the public and staff effectively. Plans and organizes recreational program activities. Maintains inventories and cares for City property and equipment. Keeps supervisor informed of materials and supplies necessary to conduct programs. Cleans program areas after completion of activities and at end of work day. Demonstrates cooperative behavior with team, supervisors, and the public. Leads, teaches, demonstrates, and officiates recreational activities for a variety of age groups. Monitors and records compliance with safety and department guidelines and rules. Maintains attendance, activity, supply, and equipment records. Assists in development of lesson or activity plans and program evaluations. Assists in the use of equipment and supplies. Communicates with a wide range of people. Provides information and directions. Encourages and guides participants. Sets up equipment for scheduled recreational activities and events. May involve cash handling. May give direction to program volunteers on specific activities or projects. Other duties as assigned. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of general safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of First Aid Basic knowledge of personal computer operation.
- Ability to learn and care for equipment and supplies.
- Ability to provide guidance and instruction Ability to communicate activity objectives, programs information, and directions.
- Ability to conduct activities following established rules and guidelines.
- Ability to retain and enforce safety rules and department guidelines.
- Ability to evaluate program activities verbally and in writing.
- Ability to obtain Lifeguard/First Aid/Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation/ AED certification Ability to plan, organize, motivate, lead, and promote a variety of recreational activities for different age groups with diverse interests and varying skill levels.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you at least 15 years of age?
* If selected as Top Candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* Please indicate the Lifeguard position you qualify for based on the following qualifications:
- Lifeguard I - 15 years of age; and have required certifications. (Restricted to limited hours and locations during the summer only (summer is defined by AISD school calendar))
- Lifeguard II - 16 years of age; and have required certifications.
- Lifeguard III - 17 years of age or older; and have required certifications.
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* I understand that before I am hired with the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Aquatics Division - I must take and successfully pass the StarGuard Elite/First Aid/CPR/AED 40+ hour Training Course to work as a temporary Lifeguard. If I am a returning Lifeguard applicant (previously hired with the Aquatics Division - with current Lifeguard First Aid/CPR/AED certifications), I understand that this training will be for 20 hours instead of 40 hours.
* I understand that my employment offer is contingent upon the following items: passing the lifeguard training or review, a successful Criminal Background Investigation outcome, completing new hire paperwork properly, and providing valid I-9 documents for the purpose of E-verification for employment and payroll processing.
- Yes. I acknowledge and understand the statement above.
* This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents