About Our Job
We are offering a hiring bonus of $5,000 to new employees hired from this recruitment. The details of the bonus will be discussed at interview and/or offer. Note: The hiring bonus will not be applicable to City and County of Denver employees who are currently employed with the city or who have been separated from the city for fewer than 6 months.
This position requires a performance assessment which involves a pre-trip inspection, post-trip inspection, and maneuvering/driving. To be considered for this position, you must pass this assessment. Additional detailed information will be provided once you are invited for the assessment. For more information about the performance assessments, please visit our website: https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/denver-human-resources/assessments/PerformanceTesting.html
This position requires a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) level B, at minimum.
This position requires a background check, physical, and drug test.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure and services. For more information, please visit the DOTI website .
DOTI’s Commitment to Equity:
- DOTI is committed to providing attention and resources to the areas, assets and people of the city with the greatest need. Through equitable contracting, equitable investments, and equitable workforce development.
- DOTI’s culture revolves around four key principles: (1) Invest in Our People, (2) Operate with Discipline, (3) Use Data to Drive Decisions, and (4) Deliver Results.
Solid Waste Management provides trash collection service, hazardous waste removal, recycling, and a composting program for single family Denver homes and multi-family dwellings with up to seven units, municipal facilities, and Denver Public Schools. The agency’s Graffiti Removal Program removes graffiti from private and commercial property and the public Right-of-Way.
The Solid Waste Management team has an opening for an Equipment Operator II. Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates specialized vehicles such as automated trash trucks, including side loaders, cart loading, semi and fully automated and front loader collection vehicles.
- Samsara Dash Camera installed on all vehicles.
- Performs pre and post trip inspections.
- Perform basic vehicle maintenance (greasing), etc.
- Single operator responsible for completing assigned route.
- Responsible for safety and knowing safe work habits
- Some vehicles drive from the left and/or right side.
- Laboring may be required while on route, including performing truck maintenance, moving containers, etc.
- Position includes bending, stooping, twisting, pushing, pulling, grasping, lifting, carrying, fine fingering, reaching, handling, manipulation, crouching, and walking.
- (During snow removal season: Street Maintenance, Traffic Operations, and Wastewater Operations are required to participate in the snow removal duties. Solid Waste is not required to participate and will maintain current schedules, unless volunteering)
- Other duties that may arise
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience driving and operating with automated trash collection vehicles
- Experience driving and operating a side load automated cart collection vehicle
- Ability to get in and out of vehicles and equipment multiple times per day
- Ability to work in varying conditions (inclement weather, dust, fumes, etc.)
- Knowledge of the streets within the City and County of Denver
- Ability to read and follow route maps
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of general labor experience which must include two (2) years of experience operating light to medium sized equipment.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirements.
- License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements at the time of application.
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
About Everything Else
CJ1905 Equipment Operator II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$20.47 - $30.71
Based on education and experience.
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.