About Our Job
We are offering a hiring bonus of $5,000 to new employees hired from this recruitment. The details of the bonus will be discussed at interview and/or offer. Note: The hiring bonus will not be applicable to City and County of Denver employees who are currently employed with the city or who have been separated from the city for fewer than 6 months.
This posting is for various positions with the Solid Waste Management, Street Maintenance, Wastewater Management , and Traffic Operations departments, all within the City and County of Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure. At this time Solid Waste Management, Traffic Operations, Street Maintenance, Wastewater Management, and the Office of Encampment Management are the ONLY department with current openings.
This position requires a performance assessment which involves a pre-trip inspection and maneuvering/driving. To be considered for this position, you must pass this assessment. Assessments typically take place on Thursday or Saturday, one time per month. Additional detailed information will be provided once you are invited for the assessment. For more information on assessments, please visit our Performance Assessment section of the Assessments Page .
This position requires a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) level B, at minimum.
This position requires a background check, physical, and drug test.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure and services. For more information, please visit the DOTI website .
DOTI’s Commitment to Equity:
- DOTI is committed to providing attention and resources to the areas, assets and people of the city with the greatest need. Through equitable contracting, equitable investments, and equitable workforce development.
- DOTI’s culture revolves around four key principles: (1) Invest in Our People, (2) Operate with Discipline, (3) Use Data to Drive Decisions, and (4) Deliver Results.
Solid Waste Management provides trash collection service, hazardous waste removal, recycling, and a composting program. The agency’s Graffiti Removal Program removes graffiti from private and commercial property and the public Right-of-Way.
Street Maintenance is responsible for filling potholes, repaving streets, sweeping streets, and removing snow from public streets and alleys. The Division also manages the City’s asphalt plant, which produces asphalt for resurfacing and maintaining city streets and alleys.
Wastewater Management oversees all aspects of wastewater functions, including the construction, operation, maintenance of the City’s sanitary and storm systems, and responding to customer inquiries regarding sewage and storm drainage service charges.
The Traffic Operations team is responsible for the operation, maintenance, installation, and emergency repair of traffic control devices. They also operate the Transportation Management Center and are responsible for signals, electronics repair, utility locates, sign installation, sign manufacturing and pavement markings.
The Office of Encampment Management provides trash collection services and hazardous waste removal from Encampments for people experiencing homelessness. This office collaborates with contracted companies, DPD, DFD, DDPHE, HOST, and the Mayor's office.
Specific job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates light to medium sized industrial equipment while performing construction, maintenance, and other work in combination with assigned vehicle’s operation or mode of function and ensures the safe and efficient operation of equipment and a variety of work related tools.
- Inspects vehicle for loose parts, damaged or worn tires, proper air pressure in tires, and other items affecting its safe operation and completes a pre/post trip inspection as defined by federal guidelines.
- Observes on-board instruments while operating equipment and takes routine corrective action if malfunctions are indicated.
- Performs manual labor in construction, maintenance, or other work-related duties when not driving equipment to or operating it at the work site.
- Assists in preventative maintenance of equipment by washing and servicing vehicles with water, oil, and fuel, performs basic maintenance, and makes minor running repairs.
- Keeps trip records and logs, reports defects in the vehicles operations, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicle.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner and provides information within the area of assignment.
- Participates in snow removal duties. (During snow removal season: Street Maintenance, Traffic Operations, and Wastewater Operations are required to participate in the snow removal duties. Solid Waste is not required to participate and will maintain current schedules, unless volunteering)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Previous experience operating machinery and/or equipment for a municipality
- Knowledge of the streets within the City and County of Denver
- Ability to read and follow route maps
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Two (2) years of general labor experience which must include six (6) months of experience operating light to medium sized equipment.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirements.
- License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements at the time of application.
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
About Everything Else
CJ1904 Equipment Operator I
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$19.31 - $28.97
Based on experience and education
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.