Culver City is a Charter City incorporated in 1917, and is a destination filled with outdoor cafes, unique shops and galleries opening onto pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Culver City has a dedicated staff of approximately 700+ employees with an overall operating budget of over $235 million. The City provides a full range of municipal services including Fire, Police, Community Development, Public Works, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services, and Transportation. THE POSITIONDUTIES:
Note: This position is frequently exposed to intense sunlight and full sunlight. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Organizes and conducts a well-balanced aquatic program at the Culver City Municipal Pool.
- Perform lifeguard duties during public recreation swimming hours.
- Supervises pool deck, enforces regulations, prevents accidents and effects rescues.
- Assists with pool maintenance and operation and the testing of chemicals.
- Maintains pool records.
- Attends staff meetings and service training programs.
Any combination equivalent to training and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be: possess one (1) year work experience as a lifeguard or swimming instructor and must be at least 21 years of age. REQUIRED CERTIFICATE(S)
The following current certificates must be submitted at time of application for full consideration:
- CPR Certificate
- First-Aid Certificate
- Red-Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certificate
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification is highly desirable
This is a part-time position; hours will vary depending on department needs. Applicants must be available to work evenings and weekends. Vacation is not permitted during the entire summer. Attendance at all in-service trainings is mandatory. THE DEPARTMENT:
Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS)
The PRCS Department consists of different programs and divisions including the Recreation Division and Senior & Social Services. These divisions provide a variety of programs for children, young adults, seniors and residents with disabilities. Program activities include homework assistance, computer lab, crafts and games, special events and more. For more information about the department please utilize the following link: PRCS Department EXAMINATION PROCEDURES
Suitability for the position will be evaluated with a Performance Test and an Oral Appraisal Interview. The Performance Test will measure the ability to perform life saving techniques. This test will be qualifying, i.e., it will determine who will be invited to the Oral Appraisal Interview. The interview will evaluate training, experience, and personal qualifications and will be weighted at 100%. *Testing/Interviews are tentatively scheduled during the week of April 18, 2022. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The provisions of this job posting do not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions in this posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job-related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration. Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification. Conditions of Employment:
- Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination (all positions).
- Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions).
- E-Verify: Before appointment, proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required.