Senior IT Applications Developer
This recruitment is open to the public
and will remain open on a continuous basis
until the needs of the County are met. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
The recruitment will establish an open eligible list that will be used to fill current and future Senior IT Applications Developer positions. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. County of Orange
Over the years, Orange County
has established a reputation as an innovative leader among local governments and serves over 3 million residents who live within its 34 cities. The County of Orange provides local services to its residents which include, public safety, public health, environmental protection, regional planning, public assistance, social services, and aviation. Orange County Information Technology
Orange County Information Technology
(OCIT) provides innovative IT solutions across County departments and agencies for voice communications, network and Internet access, data center services, applications development and more. We strive to meet industry best-practices while providing quality business solutions to our customers. Key areas of focus for the department include implementation of a converged voice and data network, further implementation of Shared Services model and the establishment of enterprise collaboration tools within the County. The Opportunity
The Department of Information Technology (OCIT)
Essential duties and responsibilities of the position will include but are not limited to:
Core Competencies & Desirables
- Architect, develop, test, implement, maintain, and document software programs including working effectively within a team environment to gather software requirements, design and develop software and implement projects
- Make recommendations to improve operation efficiency and functionality of assigned systems area
- Perform all necessary development/enhancement/maintenance activities, including, coding, configuring, unit and integration testing, regression testing, performance testing, and customizing of Content Management System (CMS) modules as required
- Implement high quality, secure and maintainable code using standard software design patterns and best practices
- Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries from users regarding errors, problems, or questions
- Develop and create customized reports and dashboards
- Lead and/or review IT vendors or contract technical team members
The ideal candidates will possess five (5) or more years of experience with web-based design, development, and maintenance using Software Development Lifecycle techniques, including requirements analysis and technical design through implementation.
The ideal candidate will have considerable experience as a lead software developer over medium to large IT applications and possess extensive experience and/or knowledge in the following competencies: Technical Expertise
Problem Solving/Analytical Skills
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming concepts
- Implementing high quality, secure and maintainable code using standard software design patterns and best practices
- Experience with Visual Studio .NET, Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server, IIS, SSRS, SharePoint, MS Project, MS Visio, Microsoft Azure DevOps and exposure to developing mobile applications
- MS SQL database, SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) development experience
- Maintain a high degree of knowledge on current technologies and tools
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
- Identifying and resolving challenging technical issues and problems through good judgment and decision making
- Proactively detect problem areas and recommend/implement solutions
- Analyzing problems and proposing solutions while dealing with changing priorities
- Developing and delivering effective written and verbal communication with stakeholders
- Creating rapport and negotiating with vendors/department staff to correct or mitigate contract performance issues or conflicts
- Collaborate with other OCIT application developers, business users, and management
- Serve as an integrator between business needs and technology
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Senior IT Applications Developer classification. Recruitment process
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials for minimum qualifications. After the initial screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step of the selection process. All applicants will be notified via email of their status in the process.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Structured Oral Interview | SOI (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure. Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING COVID 19 RELATED REQUIREMENTS
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. Email Notification: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE:
User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the governmentjobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. Frequently Asked Questions:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information regarding the recruitment, please contact Aries Hensley Franco
by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (714) 834-3918.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous