About Our Job
Note: The City and County of Denver utilizes a hybrid model workplace that balances the responsibilities of public service with the benefits of a flexible work environment. Employees work where needed,at a city site and/or in the field at least two days a week, and telecommute remotely at a designated workplace within the State of Colorado the remaining days.
We currently have two positions open, one being unlimited and the other is a limited position with an end date of 12/31/2026 and the potential to be extended.
Working for the City and County of Denver (CCD) is so much more than a job.It’s a chance to make a difference in your own life and in the lives of people around you. Click here to find out about all the amazing benefits and reasons to work for the city that you love!
The City and County of Denver’s Community Planning and Development Department (CPD) is recruiting for a highly motivated Electrical Plans Review Engineer to join our Development Services Division. We are seeking an individual with expertise in design and relevant electrical power and lighting systems with the ability to serve as a technical expert on such issues, and the ability to research effective solutions is highly desirable.
The Development Services Division of the Community Planning and Development Department administers Denver’s building, fire and zoning codes through review, permitting, and inspection of all new development projects in Denver. Through each of these critical roles, Development Services helps to implement the city’s vision for an outstanding Denver.
At Community Planning and Development, we envision, enable and ensure a better Denver.Denver's Community Planning and Development Department is responsible for visionary city planningand ensuring that all buildings are safe. Community Planning and Development plays a role in growing our world-class city, while keeping its beloved features intact. From the skyscrapers of the Central Business District; to the walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods of Stapleton; to the charming Victorian effects of the Baker district, the staff at Community Planning and Development works to make Denver a great place to live, work and play. The department's three primary functions are planning, permitting and inspections.
Schedule: 9/80 Flex
The Electrical Plans Review Engineer will work with our customers to research effective solutions and serve as a technical expert that assists design professionals with engineering standards.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Quickly and accurately review complex electrical construction drawings and specifications for compliance to the Denver Building Code for new and existing buildings as well as photovoltaic systems
- Assist design professionals with engineering standards, coordinating with other electrical engineering functions, such as, fire alarm, utilities, life safety, security, contractors, and appropriate managers and staff
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team as well as work independently reporting directly to the Engineer/Architect Supervisor for the section
- Assist inspectors with difficult or unusual code compliance issues and answer questions from inspectors about plan review comments
- Participate in recommending and establishing policies, procedures, standards, guidelines, and specifications and evaluates the effectiveness of existing methods, policies, procedures, and proposed local and national model code modifications and issues
We are looking for someone with some or all the following skills and experience:
- Direct electrical design experience with a wide variety of buildings (both multi-family residential and commercial)
- Experience in design and construction of high-performance buildings, at minimum experience utilizing the National Electrical Code and IECC
- Familiarity with emergency power systems, residential and commercial photovoltaic systems, and electric vehicle charging systems
- Certification as a LEED professional
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; Ability to understand, interpret, and enforce the intent of the codes
- Ability to communicate effectively - verbally and in writing; Ability to work as part of a team to support both internal and external customers
- Experience using Bluebeam® Revu®
- Efficiently demonstrates excellent time/work management skills
- Problem solver that can envision various outcomes and plan accordingly to mitigate risky outcomes
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized; Dependable and can maintain confidentiality
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of professional engineering work experience after obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) license. (Some positions may require experience in a specific engineering area)
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements
- Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application
- Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application
- Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
To be considered for this position, you must include the following on your job application (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
About Everything Else
CE0424 Plans Review Engineer
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$91,816.00 - $151,496.00
$92,000-$120,000/year, based on education and experience
Community Planning & Development
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.