The purpose of this position is to operate heavy equipment for a variety of construction and maintenance operations within the City. This is accomplished by using equipment such as: backhoes, rollers, graders, and front-end loaders to complete construction projects; assisting with operations; when assigned to landfill: operating dozers and compactors on a 3:1 slope, driving articulated dump trucks and operating excavators. Other duties include performing preventative maintenance; and interacting with other City employees and citizens. Essential Job Functions
- Performs heavy equipment operation by using equipment to push trash; maintaining the appropriate grade and compaction levels; hauling dirt; loading truck with excavator; driving truck to work site; combining trash and dirt in order to grade; and maintaining site compliance.
- Performs preventative maintenance by greasing equipment; cleaning filters; checking all fluids; inspecting undercarriage; tracking inspections; and cleaning tracks.
- Assists with landfill operations by screening waste that may be hazardous and providing facility maintenance.
- Excavating loads of metal for recycling; moving wood chips, recycled dirt, and concrete
- Maintaining stockpiles; pushing brush, wood, concrete, and dirt with Bulldozer.
- Moving litter fences to reduce windblown litter from leaving the site; and other litter prevention duties as required.
- Responding to after hours emergencies, such as fires, as needed.
- Education: Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
- Experience: Over two years up to and including four years.
- Licenses: Valid Class A CDL Driver's License required within 6 months of employment.
- Certifications Required: EPA Certification for Refrigerants (when assigned to Landfill).
- Reading: Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Math: Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions, and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Writing: Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study
- Managerial: Receives direction: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Budget Responsibility: None
- Supervisory / Organizational Control: Work requires functioning as a lead worker performing essentially the same work as those directed; it also requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers, or temporary employees.
- Complexity: Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous