Description:Position Rank and Title:
Lecturer in Chemistry School/Department Name:
Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule . See Benefits Summary for details about the CSU’s excellent employment benefits. Target Start Date:
January 2023 Application Deadline:
August 22, 2022 (Applications accepted until filled or closed)Position Description
The Department of Chemistry at San José State University seeks qualified candidates for full-time Lecturer in Chemistry positions beginning in January of 2023. We highly encourage candidates with specializations in any of the following areas including, but not limited to the following, to apply: biochemistry, organic chemistry, chemical biology, or chemical education. The faculty member selected for this position will be required to teach in one or more areas that include: biochemistry, organic chemistry, general chemistry, analytical and introductory chemistry. This can include laboratory courses and can range in level from introductory courses to graduate courses in the area of the candidate’s specialization. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to teach at the undergraduate level with the potential for teaching excellence in the classroom and through online modalities. In addition, the position will also require one or more of the following: coordination of a lab program, advising of students, development of new experiments, committee work, assessment, etc.
The Department of Chemistry at San José State University strives to provide broad access to the highest quality education in chemistry at the bachelor’s and master’s degree levels. To achieve this ambitious goal, we have crafted a curriculum affording our diverse students access to expert instructors in each of the sub-fields of chemistry via classroom courses, hands-on laboratory courses, and research laboratories. https://www.sjsu.edu/chemistry. The Department invites candidates who are interested in being part of a dynamic and collegial faculty, engaging in a broad range of research activities, and who are highly engaged with practices that will lead to student success.
The Department of Chemistry and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines , along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.Required Qualifications
- Doctorate degree in Chemistry, Chemical Education, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate classes in one or more of the areas of interest; biochemistry, organic chemistry and/or general/introductory chemistry for majors, to serve other majors and/or for general education. Other areas of chemistry would also be considered based on current faculty sabbatical/parental/etc. leaves.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a socially and economically diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
- Excellence in teaching is expected. Applicants should be familiar with a variety of asset based approaches to teaching and have interest in implementing student-centered practices in courses of different sizes and levels.
Priority will be given to candidates who possess one or more of the following:
- Willingness/versatility to teach in more than one area of chemistry and/or at more than one level (introductory, majors, graduate and service courses).
- Familiarity with Canvas Learning Management System
- Teach lectures and/or labs in one or more of the areas of need. This includes biochemistry, organic chemistry and first year chemistry courses like general chemistry and general education/introductory chemistry. Other areas of need will also be considered based on current faculty sabbatical/parental/etc. leaves. A graduate course in area of specialization is also a possibility as well as courses in scientific writing for chemistry.
- Lab program coordination, training of teaching assistants, development/testing/implementation of new experiments can be required based on the needs of the department.
- The candidate can participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments such as advising, development of STEM teaching strategies and assessment.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advising.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement (1 page maximum)
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy (1 page maximum) - We encourage applicants to look at course descriptions found at the url below and list courses they feel well qualified to teach https://catalog.sjsu.edu/content.php?catoid=13&navoid=4972
- three references with contact information, we may contact for letters
- undergraduate and graduate transcript (unofficial are acceptable for application)
- any additional supporting documents, which can include items such student and peer evaluations
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair: Karen Singmaster (Karen.Singmaster@sjsu.edu)Conditional Offer
The work for this faculty position is located in the State of California. Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Proof of immunization and booster shots against COVID-19 or proof of a medical or religious exemption and compliance with testing protocols is required for employment. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current employee who was conditionally offered the position. San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San José State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. Recognized as a leading transformative educational institution, San José State is an essential partner in the technological, economic, cultural, and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area, and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. Cutting-edge research, world-class scholarship, student-centered learning, diverse communities, and commitment to social justice, allow SJSU to provide life-changing opportunities and advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University prohibits discrimination on the basis of Age, Ancestry, Caste, Color, Disability, Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Expression, Gender Identity, Genetic Information, Marital Status, Medical Condition, Military Status, Nationality, Race, Religion, Religious Creed, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sex Stereotype, and Veteran Status. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Campus Security and Fire Safety Notification
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf . The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is available at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled