Salary Starts at $87,893 annually. Rate of pay depends on qualifications.
Job Description JOB SUMMARY
The Senior Systems Engineer-Data Center works under the general direction of the Manager-IT Infrastructure. Responsibilities include planning and designing the data center infrastructure and enterprise storage solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering servers, storage systems and providing Tier III support. The position is responsible for analyzing capacity issues and developing capacity planning models. Additional responsibilities include ensuring planned testing activities are executed and developing data center security guidelines. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provides system design, architecture, and Tier III support for a data center environment that includes fiber interconnects, storage arrays, servers, and security.
- Manages enterprise system monitoring and management tools such as WhatsUpGold, Splunk, Infosight and Wireshark.
- Utilizes commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide storage and server services.
- Researches and implements Cisco SRND/SAFE and industry best practices.
- Utilizes Linux/Unix and other open source software to include BIND and Nessus.
- Manages network, server, and storage virtualization, i.e. MDS switching infrastructure, VSAN, VRF, VPN, VMWare, and Cisco UCS.
- Researches, designs and advocates new server/storage technologies, architectures, and products that will support business requirements for the enterprise.
- Develops short and long term technology roadmaps.
- Develops a standards-based design methodology across the entire infrastructure delivering solid, robust, resilient, and documented designs following best practices, addressing disaster recovery, full test compliance cycles, and ensuring all “as-build” deployments meet design specifications.
- Documents existing systems architecture and technology portfolios to ensure accuracy is maintained.
- Identifies, tests, diagnoses, and resolves data center systems performance problems in a multi-technology environment.
- Interacts with vendors to resolve storage and server system issues.
- Develops and tests business continuity plans for all critical data center systems.
- Designs technical solutions and coordinates system build activities for all server and storage related technology. Configures related storage area networks and unified computing systems.
- Analyzes storage area network activity and server problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
- Recommends design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.
- Interacts with business units in response to service requests; researches and gathers all necessary details to determine functional requirements to meet project user’s needs.
- Assists management in developing procurement requirements and service contracts by providing technical support during contract bidding, negotiation, and award processes.
- Follows established change control procedures to facilitate daily operations and processes for both hardware and software platforms including the coordination of service and repair of equipment and systems.
- Provides general systems administration training to the IT Operations team and creates operational run books.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position works under limited supervision.
- This position serves as a technical lead, providing guidance and mentorship to staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management of Information Systems or related field from an institution accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency, plus eight years of relevant IT work experience, including five years of Linux/Unix work experience and five years’ experience implementing and troubleshooting CISCO UCS and Storage Area Networks.
- CCNP Data Center Certification, or equivalent professional level certification from VMWare, HPE, Microsoft, or Red Hat.
- Valid Class C Texas Driver’s License.
- Master’s Degree in Management of Information Systems or related field from an institution accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
- CCIE Data Center Certification.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- Advanced scripting experience in Python, PERL, or Ruby.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers and contractors involved with LAN/WAN design, network implementation, and network management.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to thoroughly review, understand, and interpret technology updates for applicability in the supported environment.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 50 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment with travel to various locations on an occasional basis.
May be required to work hours other than regular schedule such as nights, weekends and holidays.
San Antonio Water System values the contributions of all its employees, providing them the best in compensation and benefits. The benefits package is designed to attract and retain a workforce of qualified employees who share a responsibility in providing quality water to 1 million consumers.
From an affordable medical and dental plan to life-sustaining retirement and insurance plans, we offer benefits that reward employees for their commitment to a challenging career at SAWS. Employee benefits include the following:
- Competitive, market-based salaries
- Performance-based incentives
- Medical benefits
- Dental benefits
- Life insurance
- Prescription drug program
- Vision care plan
- Two retirement plans
- Deferred compensation plans (457 plan)
- Disability income
- Paid leave (vacation, sick, personal)
- Education assistance program
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible, tax-deferred health and dependent care spending accounts
- Wellness programs
- Community service opportunities