CORRECTIONAL NURSE 2 - Requisition ID: 12689
Recruitment Type: Open Competitive
Posting Close Date: N/A
Geographical Location: Carson, Minden, Gardnerville, Genoa
Department:DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
Division: DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
Business Unit: HR-PRISON MEDICAL CARE
*Pay Grade: GRADE 39
Salary Range: $62,848.80 - $94,085.28
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
Recruiter: VERONICA SANTOYO
Phone: 775 997-5651
Correctional Nurses provide professional nursing care to patients in a correctional setting.
The Nevada Department of Corrections has a vacancy for a Correctional Nurse 2 at Warms Springs Correctional Center in Carson City, Nevada. Incumbents must be reliable, able to work independently, be able to apply critical thinking skills in assessing and evaluating patients, possess good problem-solving skills, have excellent intervention, communication and evaluation skills and must be able to work under pressure, adjust to change, make quick but accurate medical decisions and be a team player.
Under general supervision of a higher-level nurse, a Correctional Nurse II (CN II) provides professional nursing care to inmates by identifying patient health care needs; making comprehensive clinical observations/evaluations of health needs; and recording/reporting indicative signs/symptoms of physical and mental conditions. A CN II prepares nursing care plans; evaluates needs and develops nursing diagnoses, plans for treatment, services and health education based on the present and predicted needs of the inmate; and identifies immediate and long-term care goals. CN II's conduct sick calls for inmates with medical complaints; identify inmates requiring immediate medical treatment; and obtain physicians' orders for treatment. As a CN II, you will administer medication; ensure correct time, dosage and route of administration; deliver medication to inmates confined to cells; obtain and distribute non-prescription medications; count controlled medications, needles, syringes, and sharps to ensure security; and monitor inmate for medication side effects and/or allergic reaction. Nurses provide emergency medical treatments such as CPR and first aid. Nurses provide emergency medical treatments such as CPR and first aid; are responsible to maintain safety, health and the wellbeing of inmates in the therapeutic environment; assist in physically restraining hostile or combative patients; coordinate and schedule outside medical appointments for inmates; and arrange for transportation to outside medical appointments.
Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency sufficient to perform work independently with little or no additional training.
To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-10_0//
- License as a Registered Nurse and two years of professional nursing experience, one of which was in a correctional or institutional setting; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience as described above.
Application Evaluation Exam
- The exam will consist of an application and resume evaluation. It is essential that applications/resumes include detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. The most qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview. The hiring agency may require specific skills related testing as part of the interviewing process.
- A pre-employment criminal history check and fingerprinting are required. Persons offered employment in this position will be required to pay for these items.
- A State of Nevada/FBI background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances.
- CPR certification is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
- Some positions require a valid driver's license at time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
*The salary range indicated in this announcement is based on the Employee/Employer retirement compensation schedule. An employer-only option is available at a reduced salary range.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages. Nearest Major Market:
Carson City Nearest Secondary Market: