Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering.
Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process. About The Position
This position requires variety of semi-skilled duties that support both the Operational and Sales Departments for WestWorld. Operate heavy and light equipment, as well as maintenance on arenas and multiple facilities. Most tasks will be performed in close proximity to patrons, equestrians, livestock, and staff. Click HERE to view the WestWorld Operations informational flyer!
- First review of applications will be completed August 12, 2022.
- There are multiple positions available.
- This position is open Continuously; it will be filled when a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Fingerprint search of the national FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
- Drug Testing
- Motor Vehicle Record Check
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- A High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- One year of experience in landscape work or working with heavy equipment.
- Requires the skill and knowledge to operate a personal computer to enter and retrieve data.
- Associate Degree in construction or landscape management or a related field.
- Experience working at an equestrian or special events facility.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Must possess and maintain within six months of hire or promotion and maintain a valid, unrestricted Class "B" Arizona Commercial Driver License (CDL) and will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as required by law.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
- Preferred: Within six months of hire or promotion, completion of the City of Scottsdale's Forklift Operator Certification.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of safe motor vehicle operation, equipment, and arena attachments to complete routine maintenance.
- Microsoft Office products and other relevant technologies.
- Work parking events while adhering to International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Work Zone and Signs & Markings requirements for event parking.
- Follow department and City policies and procedures, safety procedures and practices, as well as traffic control methods.
- Complete work orders, routes, time sheets, and safety checklists in a complete and readable manner.
- Follow oral and written instructions from Foremen.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material and oral instructions.
- Operate a personal computer to complete automated timesheet and record list of work activities.
- Make basic mathematical calculations.
- Listen, communicate, and work effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Safely and courteously operate a motor vehicle within the Facility property.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with: co-workers, supervisors, other departments, and the general public, producers, and special events.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Sets up, tears down, and cleans up arenas and barn stalls and performs facility maintenance.
- Prepares arena, including proper footing and drag for each equestrian discipline.
- Performs grounds maintenance, facility maintenance, irrigation, and sprinkler system repair and other duties to ensure a safe and successful operation.
- Listens and responds accurately to customer requests, inquiries, and issues.
- Focuses on Quality Customer Service with event producers.
- Performs grounds keeping routine duties such as cleaning arenas, restrooms, and facilities to ensure areas are safe, litter free, and clean.
- Performs proper ASI300 pruning standards for all trees and shrubs, with ability to calibrate fertilizer, while maintaining the facility grounds at WestWorld.
- Assists Feed store in delivery of materials. Visually reviews and verifies materials for accuracy and completeness. Checks orders against invoices.
- Performs daily inventory counts and controls.
- Provides support to operation and event staff. Works with Parks and Recreation team in maintaining proper care of the Polo Field.
- Operates a City vehicle on and off the WestWorld property to attend city meetings and deliver vehicles to Fleet for maintenance.
- Operates heavy equipment including dump trucks, flatbed trucks, water trucks, skid steer, gators, fork lifts, and front end loaders as well as various sized utility vehicles..
- Perform manual work that requires: standing and walking/moving continuous periods of time, digging, lifting, bending, standing, and climbing elevations.
- Access paved, gravel, or turf park areas to perform general grounds maintenance functions.
- Operate small and medium handheld equipment weighing up to 80 pounds such as blowers, weed eaters, trimmers, edgers, chain saws, mowers, and power washers.
- Operate heavy equipment including tractor, water truck, backhoe, front loader, trencher, dump truck, walk behind roller, hydraulic breakers, and bobcat.
- Perform painting tasks.
- Perform sprinkler maintenance; repair lines, heads.
- Use manual tools such as rakes and shovels.
- Lift materials weighing up to 30 pounds, and with assistance from a hay hook/handle or other workers when the load is more than up to 50 pounds repetitively on a routine daily basis.
- Exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, inclement weather, chemicals, temperature extremes, traffic hazards, and unpleasant odors.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate: equipment, hand tools, computer, two-way radio, a small tractor, and a City truck or EZ-GO.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations using a small tractor, city truck, or EZ-GO.
- Work varied schedule according to season including weekends, evenings, and overtime
to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any timeEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change
Closing Date/Time: Continuous