Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience: Licenses and Certifications Required: Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD )
provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
The purpose of the Temporary - Golf Pro Shop Services I
position is to provide customer service and support services to the City of Austin Municipal Golf Courses.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following but are not limited to:
- Sells golf equipment and supplies and records sales data on appropriate forms and through use of computer equipment..
- Collects payment for retail sales and rental of range balls and accurately accounts for all money received.
- Rents carts and collect greens and cart rental fees.
- Assigns tee times over the phone and in person and answer golf pro shop service related questions.
- Arranges merchandise on shelves or in displays.
- Assist with golf course tasks similar to collecting range balls, relocating golf carts, light grounds-keeping/maintenance.
- Other related duties may be assigned.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Jimmy Clay Golf Course (5400 Jimmy Clay Drive)
- Roy Kizer Golf Course (5400 Jimmy Clay Drive)
- Lions Municipal Golf Course (2901 Enfield Rd)
- Morris Williams Golf Course (3851 Manor Road)
- Hancock Golf Course (811 East 41st Street)
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to thirty-five (35) pounds. Work environment includes inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme temperatures, and hazards associated with equipment operation including fumes, oils, gases and mists. Tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement. Work outdoors in any and all types of weather and or inclement conditions; and in confined spaces at time. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- Posting Notice: This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates may be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitment(s).
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$16.00 per hour. Hours Work Location/Schedule:
Job Close Date
- Variable Part-time work schedule, up to 20 hours per week.
- Days and hours will vary based on business need.
- Occasional evenings, weekends, & holidays may be required.
- May be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs.
10/31/2022 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various City of Austin Golf Courses Preferred Qualifications Preferred Experience:
- Experience working at a golf course/pro shop, including cash handling.
- Experience providing customer service to the general public, including greeting and directing visitors, and handling customer complaints.
- Knowledge of golf course rules and rules of play.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Sells golf equipment and supplies. Collects payment for retail sales and rental of range balls. Accurately accounts for all money received. Rents carts and collect greens and cart rental fees. Assigns tee times over the phone and in person. Answers golf shop service related questions. Arranges merchandise on shelves or in displays. Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of golf courses and golf shop products.
- Knowledge of City practices, polices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to make change and operate cash register and computer.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you at least 16 years of age?
* Do you have experience in cash handling and in working a cash register?
* Describe your experience working in a golf pro-shop and/or similar setting?
(Open Ended Question)
* Which statement best describes your computer skills?
- I am comfortable with electronic mail, web browsing, and word-processing.
- I can get by if there is not too much typing or special software.
- I have no computer skills
* Are you able to work varying hours, weekends and holidays as required by this position?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* We are recruiting for several positions at different golf courses. Please indicate your location preference in the response. You can select multiple locations. Location and assignments will be determined during the hiring process and is at the discretion of the hiring manager. Golf Course List: 1) Morris Williams Golf Course 2) Jimmy Clay Golf Course 3) Roy Kizer Golf Course 4) Lions Golf Course 5) Hancock Golf Course 6) No Preference.
(Open Ended Question)
* This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents