California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
The department of Special Events and Guest Services coordinates all external reservations, and internal reservations for state facilities, for both in-door and outdoor spaces, at both San Bernardino and Palm Desert campuses. Additionally, Special Events and Guest Services oversees Coussoulis Arena Event Management, and Commencement. Job Summary
Under the general direction of the Director of Special Events and Guest Services, the Event Specialists provides project leadership that contributes to the completion of simple to complex events with an emphasis on the Palm Desert Campus. The Event Specialist uses considerable judgment and discretion when addressing event challenges using reasoning, interpretation, and application of theories and principles to recommend the wisest course of action. This position has critical roles in campus-wide events as well as community partner events.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing project leadership that contributes to the completion of simple and complex events with an emphasis on the Palm Desert Campus.
- Managing internal processes- Responsible for building effective communications and relations with a wide cross section of the campus community to assure that events conducted are well planned and that affiliated campus offices are engaged and aware of their role. As outside vendors and off-campus sites are a major component of special events programming, this position serves as the campus leader in knowing regional resources and building and developing relations with vendors.
- Managing pre-event preparation and on-site program execution. Oversight of internal and external campus bookings and rentals. Maintains and manages campus inventory of events supplies.
Full-time, Probationary, "Exempt" position (with the possibility of converting to permanent). Application Review Deadline:
This position will remain open until filled. The initial review of applications will begin on August 10, 2022. Work Schedule
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- A general knowledge of event practices.
- Ability to work with a highly diverse population including off campus clients such as: donors, non-profits, commercial programs, community members and the ability to work cooperatively with on-campus individuals including students, clubs, organizations, staff, faculty and administrators.
- Possess investigative and analytical skills to resolve problems with broad administrative impact and implications
- Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills, along with excellent interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of and ability to operate standard office equipment and technology including, but not limited to, desktop computer, laptop, copier, fax machine, scanner, and printer.
- Demonstrated proficiency in ability to effectively use common computer and technology programs and related computer software packages (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom, etc.) in the course of assigned duties.
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction.
- Bachelor's degree and/or the equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs, PLUS two years of related experience.
- Valid CA Drivers License and insurance.
- Experience using EMS(scheduling software), People Soft and Social Tables (or similar events scheduling and other software programs).
- Equivalent of two years of progressively responsible work experience coordinating events on a university or college campus.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,000 per month
Classification Salary Range: $3,897 - $7,051 per month Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled