Hayward Area Recreation District (HARD) - Hayward, CA
$19.01 - $25.67 Hourly
Description Do you have a specialty you'd like to teach?
Do you enjoy working with our wonderful senior population?
HARD would love to meet you! Our Senior Center is looking for Program Instructors!
This position offers up to 8 hours per week or 4 hours per week, maximum. Date Adopted: 04/05/2021
Under supervision of the Recreation Supervisor and/or Recreation Coordinator II, the Program Instructor will provide instruction in recreation programs for a target group at various outdoor and indoor locations throughout the District.
Incumbents in this class are primarily responsible for instruction of group recreation programs or classes in an area of expertise and may also perform general duties to assist with general duties such as record keeping.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Incumbents may not perform all duties. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement curriculum for the program
- Ensure safety and proper technique of participation while in the program
- Responsible for planning and instructing group recreation programs/classes in one or more assigned areas
- Work with people of all ages and skill levels
- Assist with marketing and outreach of programs
- Provide a high level of customer service to parents and participants
- Instruct participants on program subject; explain and demonstrate skills
- Good communication skills; ability to explain things clearly
- Maintains good public relations and keeps supervisors informed of customer and facility needs
- Maintains records of participation and completes required reports
- Report any repairs or maintenance on equipment or facility used
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers
- Performs other duties as assigned
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. The functions of this position are performed both in indoor and outdoor settings. Incumbents may be assigned an irregular working schedule including weekends, early mornings, evenings and holidays and may have to travel between various locations. Incumbents may be required to wear an appropriate uniform with identification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to have: hearing and speech adequate to communicate in person, by telephone, by PA system and to be able to speak loudly in a noisy setting; vision adequate to clearly distinguish objects and persons at a distance and to identify signs of emergencies; bodily movement adequate to sit, stand or walk for prolonged periods of time; manual dexterity adequate to grasp objects, use fine manipulation, write and operate office machines and equipment; may have to climb, balance stoop or crouch; and strength and endurance to safely lift and carry items of up to 50 pounds.
Minimum QualificationsAbility and Skill to:
• Develop curriculum that is engaging and innovative
• Professionally and effectively communicate with people of all ages and backgrounds
• Monitor compliance with District regulations and policies, and general safety practices related to activities; firmly but tactfully enforce rules and regulations
• React quickly and calmly in emergencies
• Self-motivated and can work alone and with a team
• Report accidents and prepare accident reports, as required
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
• Organized and detail oriented
• Maintain cooperative relationships with those in contact during the work shift
• Work independently in the absence of supervision
• Bi-lingual desired Knowledge of:
• Various methods and teaching techniques in area of specialty program
• Standard safety rules and regulations related to group recreation programs Education/Experience/Training:
• High School Diploma or GED
• Previous experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
• Most possess current certifications in First Aid, CPR and AED and must maintain certifications thereafter as a condition of continued employment
• Must possess all required certifications for programs/classes of instructor’s area of expertise Special Requirements:
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Provide proof of negative TB skin test
• Any offer of employment to an adult employee who will have direct contact with minors is conditional upon a satisfactory fingerprint clearance and background check (DOJ)
• Completion of the Hepatitis B vaccination series is recommended.
• Verification of ID and proof of eligibility to work in the USA
• Possession of a valid CA Driver’s License
• Ability to obtain First Aid and CPR certification