Position is Open Until Filled. The first review of applications will be on October 3, 2022.
Resume must be included to be considered.
The Community Relations Manager leads and coordinates Valley Metro’s community outreach and engagement strategies to support the agency’s Core Purpose of Connecting Communities and Enhancing Lives. Working across the organization and metro Phoenix, the Community Relations Manager is responsible for the community outreach strategy that helps to build the community’s vision for public transit, relationships with key stakeholders and groups as well as an overall positive reputation for the agency and its mission. The Manager supports a team of Valley Metro employees and consultants who develop and implement tailored and pro-active community engagement plans that help to plan, design and build the region’s light rail/high-capacity transit system, create a conversation with existing transit customers and seek to educate and attract people to our transit system and help them to understand its value to a growing community. This position reports to the Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives and works alongside peers in Communications, Marketing, Commute Solutions and very closely with colleagues in Operations & Maintenance and Capital Planning & Development.
As a member of Valley Metro's Communications and Strategic Initiatives team, demonstrates the Agency's Core Values of Whatever It Takes, Team Player and Positive Customer Care/Service in performance of daily duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES / KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
The statements listed below describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
• Supervises and mentors community relations and business assistance personnel, consisting of agency and consultant staff
• Develops community engagement plans for capital projects in various stages of planning, design and construction, garnering feedback on our transit system as well as building public support for transit
• Builds and executes community relations strategies that meet the agency’s needs and goals and are tailored to the unique needs of our region and effective for Valley Metro member cities. Flex and stay up-to-date with trends and sensitivities (including cultural, environmental and political sensitivities) to ensure stakeholders can effectively engage and feel like they are heard and that #vmcares
• Develops and/or supervises custom business assistance programs for capital projects in final design and construction; employs new techniques, strategies and partnerships to innovate programs and ensure effectiveness for the local business community
• Prepares community relations staffing plans and budgets supportive of specific projects or programs; actively tracks budget activity and expenses and helps to build division-wide budget
• Ensures close coordination and comradery between community relations staff/consultants and the departments in which they partner, including Operations, Planning, Design and Construction. Ensures consistent and effective communication with member city staff
• Closely coordinates with counterparts in Communications and Marketing in regards to messaging, public notices, meeting materials, advertising and event planning
• Coordinates and/or supervises coordination of public meetings, events, and presentations; engages with new tools and resources to ensure the engagement strategy matches the needs of the audience and environment
• Develops and/or supervises development of meeting plans, notices, agendas, notes and related logistics
• Develops new and innovative techniques to solicit public input and engage with a wide cross-section of community groups and stakeholders
• Responsible for the execution of a quality control process for public-facing materials
• Creates and maintains stakeholder database and ensures documentation and metrics are thorough and up-to-date; develops reporting to “tell the story” of our engagement and to meet the needs of Valley Metro leadership and member cities
• Responds to, tracks and analyzes stakeholder inquiries and follow-through
• As needed, maintains project community office(s)
• Represents Valley Metro at meetings and events hosted by other agencies and outside organizations; conducts public speaking on behalf of Valley Metro, including at Board and City Council meetings.
• Community/public relations techniques and best practices
• Equitable community relations strategies
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
• Relationship management between public agencies and the community
• Multicultural sensitivity and tailored communication tactics
• Project management principles
• Event coordination principles
• Organizing, managing and recruiting a diverse team to accomplish the goals of the agency within established scopes, schedules and budget and representative of the local community
Building relationships across divisions, with the public and private sectors as well as city/community partners
• Relating to a diverse set of stakeholders and needs
• Planning, developing and conducting effective public awareness strategies and campaigns
• Preparing and delivering effective oral presentations
• Writing, editing and proofing a variety of materials, including fact sheets, project updates and other pieces
• Facilitating meetings
• Using computers and related software applications, including stakeholder database and Microsoft Office products
• Communicating in order to interact with co-workers, supervisor(s) and the general public at a level conducive to exchanging information, influencing productive discussion and receiving helpful work direction and buy-inl
• Managing and tracking multiple activities
• Leadership, organization and attention to detail
• Managing within an environment that operates at a rapid pace and is ever-evolving
• Positive customer service, working in a team environment and whatever-it-takes attitude
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
APPLY DIRECTLY ONLINE AT: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/valleymetro/default.cfm
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.