PH5702D FIRST DAY OF FILING: Friday, August 21, 2020 at 8:30 a.m., Pacific Time (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.This announcement is being reposted to add COVID-19 vaccine information in the Additional Information section. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityNo Out-of-Class Experience will be accepted.DEFINITION:
Surveys hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and related health care facilities, to enforce Federal, State and local licensing and quality of care regulations.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class receive administrative and technical supervision from a higher level Health Facilities Evaluator. The tasks include survey and evaluation of hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and other health facilities, clinics and individual providers for conformity with and enforcement of Federal and State licensing and certification requirements. Health Facilities Evaluators generally are assigned to a geographic area with approximately equal numbers of facilities to be surveyed regularly. Incumbents make detailed evaluation of patient care and other aspects of the facility being surveyed including physician, nursing, dietary, pharmaceutical, medical records, social services, administrative management, ethical practices, environment and infection control. Evaluators call on consultant staff which may be assigned to the Division or available in the County, State or Federal system for expert evaluation and counsel in problem areas. Persons appointed to a position in this class who have not served a probationary period as a Health Facilities Evaluator Trainee shall serve a one-year probationary period.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts surveys of hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, clinics, and other providers in accordance with State, Federal and local laws, regulations and departmental guidelines relating to patient care, physician, nursing, dietary, pharmaceutical, medical records, and social services, administrative management, ethical practices such as handling personal patients funds, diagnostic and treatment services and facilities, physical environmental and infection control.
- Conducts surveys by visiting the facility, interviewing patients, evaluating the adequacy of patient care through direct observation, inspecting the physical premises, reviewing patient and staff personnel records, and requesting and evaluating reports prepared by request to consultants available at the County or State level where an in-depth analysis by expert is necessary.
- Life Safety: Ensures compliance to and enforcement of Life Safety Codes and other related National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) codes and standards by surveying areas such as building constructions, interior finishes, corridor walls and doors, hazardous areas, vertical openings, means of egress and the illumination of such, emergency power, emergency plans, fire drills, fire alarm and smoke detection systems, smoking regulations, automatic sprinkler systems, portable fire extinguishers, furnishings and decorations, medical gases, anesthetizing locations, and laboratories.
- Serves as an expert witness in all State, Federal or local criminal or civil actions against health care facilities and testifies as to the adequacy of services available to patients.
- Analyzes survey data and recommends approval or disapproval of license and certification of health care facilities and other providers in accordance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations.
- Provides advice to facility administrators regarding deficiencies and recommends needed improvements in facility practices to ensure conformity with governmental regulations.
- Makes investigations of health care facilities based upon complaints or on suspected violations of public health laws, and initiates action to secure compliance by gathering evidence against violators, preparing reports and testifying in court, at hearings, and other legal proceedings.
- Investigates and gathers information/data of fire incidents in relation to Life Safety Code Standards/Requirements.
- Tests equipment and systems operational readiness.
- Issues citations subject to civil penalties in accordance with appropriate statutory and regulatory provisions.
- Makes investigations at other than normal business hours, by adjusting working hours, and is on call for emergencies.
- Coordinates personnel when conducting team surveys or during facility evaluations for the purpose of achieving correction of major deficiencies, decertification actions or revocation of health facility license.
- Participates in in-service training programs related to various aspects of health facilities and patient care evaluation.
- Determines evacuation difficulty scores for residents in Intermediate Care Facilities (ICF).
- Participates in the training of Health Facilities Evaluator Trainees.
- Evaluates staff training on emergency procedures.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Two years ofexperience as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist.LICENSE:
A certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist issued by the California State Department of Health Services.*
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.CERTIFICATE INFORMATION:
* You MUST
submit a legible copy of the required certificate (not the pocket license) as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist issued by the California State Department of Public Health with your application or within 15 calendar days of application submission to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov
Failure to submit the required certificate within the given time frame will result in your application being REJECTED as INCOMPLETE.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION:
- Additional points will be awarded for additional experience beyond the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education, experience, and desirable qualifications based upon application information and supplemental questionnaire at the time of filing weighted 100%.Applicants must meet the Selection Requirements and must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added on the Eligible Register.
Passing this examination and being added on the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the
Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
Complete applications will be processed on an as received basis and promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT
Any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will NOT
be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be received with your application at the time of filing online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply"
button located at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet
the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly to receive full credit for any relevant education, training, and job experience you include. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work and duties performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be REJECTED. IMPORTANT NOTES:
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
- Please note that ALL information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification(s) and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so your application will be dispositioned as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted.
- Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered a valid response, therefore, using such statements will also result in your application being rejected as INCOMPLETE.
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. COVID-19 VACCINATION:
All Department of Public Health, health care workers and individuals working in health care facilities, based on Federal regulations and Los Angeles County Health Officer Order requirements must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. Department Contact Name:
Exam AnalystDepartment Contact Phone:
(323) 659-6546Department Contact E-mail:
HRExams@ph.lacounty.govCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 659-6546 Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099Alternate Teletype Phone
: (800) 897-0077