Modified Entry Police Officer - Police Department - Entry No Academy
The City of North Las Vegas is excited to announce a continuous (ongoing) recruitment for the position of Modified Entry Police Officer! Candidates will be notified of their status at various times throughout the recruitment process. Please thoroughly review the information and selection process outlined on this announcement. This posting will close March 1, 2023, or earlier depending on operational needs.
- Submit a complete application - For your application to be considered, you MUST fully complete an online application, and answer ALL questions. Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this announcement and click “SUBMIT” at the end of your application. You MUST submit your POST certification with your application.
- Shift work required - This position supports an operation that is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You must be able to work any shift (days, swings, or graveyard), and any day of the week, to including weekends, holidays, and overtime. Currently, the schedule consists of 10-hour shifts and are divided into two squads with days off being Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Must successfully complete training program -Modified Entry Police Officers will not have to complete a full academy, but are required to complete an advanced academy. Advanced academy consists of learning the departments policy and procedure, defensive tactics, firearms training, preparation for the POST Certification (if not an in-state lateral), along with other training. Field training is broken down into four phases throughout 18 weeks. *Failure to successfully complete the eighteen (18) month probationary requirements will result in immediate termination.
- Pay considerations - The starting hourly pay for this position is $28.02 (step 1). Existing employees will receive increases as outlined by their bargaining agreement.
- Background and Disqualifiers - Applicants who proceed in the selection process will be required to complete an extensive police background check. Among other items, the following are disqualifying behaviors -
o Any felony conviction.
o Any domestic violence conviction.
o Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
o Although there have been recent changes to laws regarding the legal possession and consumption of marijuana, the City of North Las Vegas will continue to adhere to its professional standards and guidelines as it relates to recent and continuous use of the drug.
- Additional information may be found in the Municipal Code Book, Title 2, Chapter 2.68, Section F.
This MODIFIED ENTRY POLICE OFFICER position is designed for officers who have completed an academy at their own expense or by sponsorship of an organization, which is certified by the State of Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), AND who do not meet the requirements of Lateral Entry, but have attained a Category I Certificate, and are currently employed with a law enforcement agency. Applicants who are not employed by a law enforcement agency at the time of application must apply within one year of graduating from the academy or within one year of their last service date with a law enforcement agency. Applicants may not need to attend another police academy. Reciprocity states for Nevada Peace Officer Certification will be considered.
A copy of the applicant’s current and valid Peace Officer Certification certificate MUST be scanned and attached to the on-line application .
Under direct supervision of chain of command, this position is responsible for the performance of professional police work in preserving and protecting public peace and safety, protecting life and preventing crime through proper enforcement of the law.
Education and Experience:
- Applicant shall possess a valid Category I (Police Officer) Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate or valid equivalent Peace Officer Certificate from one of the above listed states. A copy of the applicant’s current and valid Nevada POST Category I certificate or equivalent MUST be attached to the online application
- U.S. citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
- Character above reproach pursuant to NRS 289.555 and NAC289.110.
- No person will be eligible for employment as a Police Officer who has been convicted of any crime for which the applicant is required to register and/or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence including use/attempted use of physical force.
- All personnel must reside in the greater Las Vegas Metropolitan area, such as North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, or the City of Las Vegas, unless authorized by the Chief of Police.
- Valid Nevada Class C driver’s license at time of hire with satisfactory driving record.
- Valid Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Category I (Police Officer) certification
Physical and Mental Abilities:
Vision 20/20 in best eye and not worse than 20/30 in worse eye with/without
If correction is necessary, uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye.
Must recognize 4/6 plates on titmus color vision test.
Average hearing 1000/2000/3000 HZ must not exceed 25db.
No single reading to exceed 35db at 500/1000/2000/3000/4000HZ.
A hearing aid can be accepted with a letter from an audiologist indicating proper fit and level of hearing correction in both ears.
Must meet City’s medical standards and pass annual physical exam with an agency selected by the City and meet annual department standards within required time-frame.
Must be able to work any shift or days of the week and work in a security type
environment and manage stressful and potentially dangerous/difficult contact situations.
Employees must be neat and clean in their appearance in public, whether in or out of uniform. Therefore, applicants with visible tattoos, brandings, and/or body piercings in areas of the body which cannot be covered by the appropriate dress required of this position will be disqualified, if they are not removed by the date of their background interview. Such markings may not be concealed using make-up or bandages. Further, tattoos or brandings anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, or violence, or contain sexually explicit material are prohibited.
Applicants with gauged earlobes will also be disqualified if not corrected by their background interview.
Out of state applicant’s additional requirements:
MUST pass a Nevada POST approved Physical Agility Test after hire.
MUST pass an 80 hour on-line Reciprocity certification training program after hire.
MUST pass Nevada POST written state certification examination after hire.
Peace Officer Certification MUST be current and no prior suspensions or revocations.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather.
Regular and timely attendance is required.
1. Background Investigation
Includes an extensive background check, polygraph/CVSA examination, medical/drug screen exam. All top scoring candidates must pass the Background Investigation in order to move forward in the process.
2. Physical Fitness Test
3. Conditional Offer Letters
4. Psychological and Medical Evaluations
5. Official Offers
SALARY AND BENEFITS
All selected candidates will start at Step 1 with an hourly rate of $28.02.
The City of North Las Vegas offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Comprehensive group health insurance plan
- Disability insurance
- Dental, vision, and life insurance options
- Vacation, Sick leave, and excellent retirement benefits
- Bilingual pay (testing required)
- Educational Incentive (Annually)
- Associates Degree: $375
- Bachelor’s Degree: $750
- Master’s Degree: $900
Phone: 702-633-2255 or 702-633-1755
YouTube: North Las Vegas Police Department
- People Group: Police Non Supervisor
- Grade: POA-66
- Minimum Salary: 28.02
- Maximum Salary: 47.24
- Pay Basis: HOURLY