The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of LIFEGUARD/INSTRUCTOR
to fill multiple vacancies in the RECREATION DIVISION
of the PARKS, RECREATION AND COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT (PRCSD).
This is a seasonal, part-time, hourly position working under the direction of the Aquatics Recreation Coordinators. The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
Under supervision, LIFEGUARD/INSTRUCTORS perform responsible and technical work in the protection of life, the enforcement of safety rules and regulations, and the provision of swimming instructions at a public swimming pool; and do related work as required.The City of Riverside offers the required courses in Lifeguard Certifications on the following dates
Please click on the link below to register for a Certification course*https://apm.activecommunities.com/riversideprcsd *Certification course includes CPR certification. The cost to candidates for the class for is $170.00 for residents of the City of Riverside and $195.00 for any non-residents, plus an additional for $65.00 materials fee. Certification scholarships available. For more information about the scholarship please contact Recreation Supervisor, Ebony Perkins at email@example.comSPECIAL NOTE
January 14- January 16, 2023
- February 17- February 19, 2023
- March 24 - March 26, 2023
- March 31- April 1, 2023
: Candidates who are not already lifeguard certified will be required to obtain the required Lifeguard Certifications before their hire date to be eligible to move forward in the recruitment process. Tentative review of applications:
1st review: December 17, 2022
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise the activities of swimmers in and around a public swimming pool; enforce pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Rescue swimmers in distress, administer first aid in the event of injury, and administer artificial respiration and other resuscitation procedures, if required.
- Collect and account for swimming pool admission fees.
- Instruct scheduled classes in the fundamentals of swimming and water safety.
- Participate in cleaning the pool and related facilities and equipment.
- Inspect and maintain lifesaving equipment and apparatus.
Qualifications Education :
Equivalent to the completion of the ninth grade. E xperience :
No experience required for entry level. Range Progression: Step 1
- Entry level.Step 2
- Completion of one pool season (a minimum of 3 months) of full-time lifeguard/teaching experience. Possession of a current Water Safety Instructor's Certificate is required.Step 3
- Completion of two pool seasons (a minimum of 6 months) of full-time (cumulative) lifeguard/teaching experience and possession of a current Water Safety Instructor's Certificate is required. Necessary Special Requirement s:
- Minimum age sixteen years.
- Possession of a Water Safety Instructor's Certificate required at Step 2 and Step 3.
- Possession of a current American Red Cross Lifeguard certificate (which includes first aid) before hire date.
- Possession of a current American Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for the Professional Rescuer Certificate or American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate before hire date.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire3)
Current Certificate(s) (must be scanned and attached to the online application).PLEASE NOTE: THE CERTIFICATION REQUIRED MUST BE SCANNED AND ATTACHED TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT ALLOW AN APPLICATION TO BE SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED ATTACHMENT. FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.