Salary: $4,024.80 - $5,160.13 Monthly USD
This recruitment is open until filled and may close at any time. The first review date will be January 7, 2023.
The City of Tustin is currently seeking applicants for the position of Accounting Specialist assigned to Water Utility Billing.
Under moderate supervision, performs a variety of clerical and routine technical accounting functions related to the preparation, processing, and maintenance of accounting records and financial transactions.
The Accounting Specialist is the journey level classification in the Accounting Specialist series. An employee in this classification performs a variety of accounting support functions related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, business licenses, cashiering, and water utility billing. This is a broad classification that is designed to allow each Accounting Specialist to work in all areas of assignment. Employees are cross-trained and rotated amongst the various positions on a regular basis. The Accounting Specialist is distinguished from the Senior Accounting Specialist by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives supervision from the Customer Service Supervisor . No supervision is exercised.
Application materials will be carefully reviewed to identify those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of January 23, 2023. All candidates who pass the panel interview will earn placement on the eligible list, which may be used for current and future vacancies in the job classification.
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assists customers at the counter and on the telephone, answering inquiries, providing information, and explaining City and department policies and procedures
• Provides quality customer service in answering questions, furnishing information and completing applications for City services and taxes
• Handles the cashiering function for all City revenue; receives payments from mail and walk-in customers; records incoming revenue for the city including utility bills, accounts receivable, invoices, business licenses and building permits; collects and accounts for money; issues receipts; reconciles cash receipt batches and prepares daily deposits
• Take on-and-off orders for utility service by telephone, correspondence and in person; analyze customer records to establish appropriate deposit amounts from written guidelines for new and existing utility users and authorize deposit refunds
• Answer customer questions, investigate and resolve complaints; compute and prepare water bills; process delinquencies; review, analyze and reconcile customer billing records and make adjustments as needed
• Use various computer systems extensively to post payments; enter data of new utility customers and make data changes; interact with customers, coordinate with service and billing divisions, check credit ratings, obtain other information to assist customers, research, and use discretion to determine deposit and restoration of service requirements
• Determine and resolve utility payment problems and mis-readings; research, recalculate and adjust incorrect bills
• Perform financial transactions including processing or transferring payments, refunding credit amounts or deposits, adjusting charges and/or deposits, reversing payments, issuing refunds, and adjusting service fees
• Research requests, problems, and complaints and initiate appropriate action; generate service requests to resolve service issues. Assist customers who have had their service disconnected or who have received notice to interrupt service, including granting extensions of service
• Receive, compare and match various documents, such as purchase orders, receiving documents, invoices, credit card receipts, and billings. Process payments against purchase orders, check requests from City departments, and direct payments for contract work performed for various City departments
• Verifies invoices, purchase orders, checks, deposit slips, water payments, computer source documents, and other records for arithmetical accuracy and consistency; checks for proper budget coding and record keeping practices; resolves discrepancies within established procedures
• Processes new business license applications, delinquent licenses, and license renewals in accordance with established procedures; assists customers with the completion of forms; reviews applications for completion, accuracy, and compliance with City guidelines
• Responds to inquiries and/or complaints in person or by telephone; answers questions and advises on procedures in preparing accounting transactions
• Issues routine correspondence to vendors, businesses, or the public according to established procedures
• Generates computer or manual billings or refund checks in accordance with established procedures
• Rotates amongst various Accounting Specialist assignments, as directed
A combination of education, experience, and training that has provided the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities is required for entry into the classification. A typical combination includes:
Education and/or Experience:
Graduation from high school; and two (2) years of technical or clerical accounting experience. Business License experience is desirable but not required.
• Basic accounting and financial record keeping methods and practices
• Standard businesses software, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
• Principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting
• Principles and practices of customer service
• Operate various types of standard office equipment, including a personal computer and related software
• Understand and interpret basic principles, laws and procedures involved in fiscal record keeping and accounting
• Plan and organize tasks to meet deadlines
• Establish and maintain courteous, cooperative, and effective relationships with the general public, co-workers, supervisors, vendors, contractors, and others encountered in the course of work
• Prepare and maintain accurate and precise records and reports
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Perform basic arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy
Licenses and/or Certificates:
Satisfactory results from a background investigation, physical examination and administrative screening.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires constant sitting and occasional walking and standing; the employee listens and talks with staff, vendors, and the general public in person and by telephone. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee uses hands to operate, finger, handle or touch office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee bends, stoops, or squats to access, place and retrieve files, supplies and records, and reaches, lifts, and move records and documents weighing up to 20 pounds.
An employee in this class is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data; use math and mathematical reasoning; analyze and solve problems; learn and apply new information; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks; meet intensive and changing deadlines and interact with City staff, customers, vendors, contractors, and the public.
The employee typically works in office conditions; the noise level is frequently quiet or moderately quiet, at or below 85 decibels level.
The City of Tustin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous