EXAM NUMBER :
FILING START DATE :
April 5, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT :
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY REBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. COVID-19 VACCINATION All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 25 health centers and four acute hospitals - and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 employees, and has an annual budget of over $6.9 billion. Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.
For additional information regarding DHS, please visit www.dhs.lacounty.gov . MISSION
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care
Positions allocable to this class are assigned to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and work under the administrative direction of supervising nurse-midwives and the medical direction of physicians. These positions are responsible within legal restrictions and agency policy for managing normal pregnancy cases by providing complete care through the full cycle of antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum and neonatal. The Nurse-Midwife exercises independent judgment in determining whether the mother and fetus are progressing within normal limits of obstetrical and gynecological practice or whether a patient's condition requires referral to a physician.
Essential Job Functions
- Reviews patient's chart and searches for abnormalities which would indicate other than prediction of a normal birth.
- Obtains patient's medical history and performs an evaluative obstetrical examination including taking vital signs, checking neurological reflexes, listening to fetal heartbeat, taking external measurements of the uterus, locating the position of the fetus and estimating its size and weight, and examining breasts and nipples.
- Performs internal pelvic examination to determine extent of dilation, station and position of the fetus and general condition of the membranes.
- Interprets the results of each element of the obstetrical examination with normal ranges and determines whether consultation with a physician is indicated.
- Draws blood and completes routine laboratory request forms.
- Performs hematocrit analysis by centrifuging blood sample, examining with a microscope and recording the results for review by a physician.
- Functions under standing orders by a physician when patient is admitted for delivery and manages the patient during labor, starting IVs, administering medications, prepping the patient, instructing the patient in labor procedures, giving supportive counseling to the patient, maintaining surveillance of progress in labor and keeping the physician informed of progress or impending problems.
- With indications of impending delivery, notifies a physician and transfers the patient to the delivery room.
- Assists the patient in the delivery room by giving emotional support to the patient and performs delivery procedures including pudendal block, episiotomy and repairs and resuscitation of the newborn.
- Makes periodic postpartum visits to the mother and baby to evaluate condition and progress and to instruct the mother in recuperative procedures and baby care.
- Participates in the informal training of nurses and students and refresher program for nurse-midwives.
- Provides gynecological care to normal women under medical direction including the performance of pelvic examinations for cancer and other abnormalities and referral of problems to physicians.
- Provides direct family planning services such as fitting diaphragms and intrauterine devices and dispenses oral contraceptives.
- Counsels and provides referrals regarding family planning.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. A current and active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.-AND
2. A current and active certificate to practice as a Nurse-Midwife issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.-AND
3. A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.Physical Class III:
Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
License(s) and Certification(s) Required
A license to practice as a Registered Nurse and a certificate to practice as a Nurse-Midwife issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of the BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing your application online. Applications submitted without the required evidence of their BLS certification will be rejected.
Please ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title (s) of your required license(s), number (s), date (s) of issue, date (s) of expiration and the name (s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applications submitted without a valid number of issuance for the required licensure by the California Board of Registered Nursing as a Registered Nurse, certification by the California Board of Registered Nursing as a Nurse-Midwife, and certification or re-certification will be rejected.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their registered nurse license number from that state to the application at the time of filing. Out-of-state experience illustrated on the application without the required license number will not be considered.
The original license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing, a certificate to practice as a Nurse-Midwife issued by California Board of Registered Nursing and BLS certification must be presented during the selection process and/or prior to appointment. Required license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted, or your application will not be accepted. Additionally, in order to receive credit for license(s) and/or certification(s) in relation to any desirable qualifications, the license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION:
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Experience as a Certified Nurse-Midwife
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
An evaluation of training and experience as documented on the application weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70 percent or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.gov and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shifts, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT
: Any ShiftVACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION: APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must mail or e-mail the documents to Luz Pascual at LPascual@dhs.lacounty.gov within 15 calendar days of filing your application online. Please include the exam number and the exam title. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Social security number is for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a social security number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR
(323) 914-6365CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:Luz Pascual, Exam Analyst
HR ESC Phone Number: (213) 288-7000