Description Salary: Up to $20.42 per hour
This is a part-time, non-benefited, at-will position exempt from the classified service. This position will be scheduled to work up to 18 hours per week. Afternoon, evening, Friday and Saturday hours are required.
This recruitment process is open on a continuous basis and may close at any time. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Only online applications will be accepted for this recruitment. Applicants appearing best qualified based upon a review of the application and responses to supplemental questions will be invited to participate in the testing process.
Under moderate supervision, provides direction, coordinates, organizes, and conducts a variety or recreational, cultural, and community services programs, including, but not limited to, day camps, youth, cultural events, fitness activities, and special events.
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers phone calls and assists in-person customers regarding general questions, facility reservations and class registration;
- Processes class and program registrations using computer software;
- Handles daily cash, credit card and check transactions, and daily cash drawer reconciliation;
- Completes daily drop log and accounting log;
- Assists with special event preparations and works the day of the event if assigned;
- Assists with the preparation and operation of program areas assigned including ordering office or program supplies;
- Processes Recreation ID card purchases;
- Assists with general facility maintenance and upkeep; Informs coordinator and/or supervisor of any safety issues or concerns;
- Monitors and maintains a clean and safe work environment, department equipment and supplies;
- Assists Contract Instructors with the daily needs of each program, including room set-up, equipment needs, and printing rosters;
- Assists with coordinating and scheduling field, facility, and picnic reservations;
- Assists with training new front desk and recreation staff, staff scheduling and shift coverage, as needed;
- Coordinates and updates display cases, bulletin boards and posting of other promotional signage at various recreation facilities;
- Participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings with supervisor to report all operational updates, challenges, and occurrences;
- Schedules and dispatches Shuttle Drivers for various transit operations;
- Assists Supervisor/Coordinator with the coordination and implementation of recreation programs;
- Ensures the safety of all Park patrons and visitors daily through effective supervision and the enforcement of Park Rules, Department Policy and City Municipal Code;
- Ensures that Incident/Accident Reports are properly completed and submitted timely;
- Monitors and reports maintenance needs at parks and facilities, including vandalism and graffiti;
- Ensures that all Park flags are taken down nightly and secured properly;
- Ensures that all fields and facilities are opened when appropriate and locked and secured at end of the day;
- Assists with the setup and break-down of sports facilities and programs;
- Provides a high level of customer service by displaying courteous and professional behavior toward all patrons, contract instructors, other employees, and supervisors;
- Enforces and carries out all applicable rules and regulations;
- Responds promptly and courteously to inquiries from the public, outside agencies, and employees; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
Recreation planning and administration;
Knowledge of recreational needs of senior citizens, adults, teens, youth and children;
Policies, rules, and regulations governing the conduct and safety of persons using the recreational facilities and equipment. Ability to:
Monitor the work of Recreation Assistant, Recreation Leader staff and volunteers;
Effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
Regularly and predictably attend work;
Follow directions from a supervisor;
Understand posted work rules and procedures;
Accept constructive criticism;
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other department staff, other City employees and the public; and
This position may be required to work weekends and holidays. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
A combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be: Experience
: Two (2) years of work experience in recreation, childcare, facilities set-up and operations, working with seniors, coaching or playing a sport, and/or volunteer work preferably in municipal recreation. Education
: Equivalent to completion of high school supplemented by college coursework. Licensing/Certification Requirements:
Within six months of hire, obtain First Aid, CPR and AED Certification through American Red Cross. Working Conditions:
Regularly exposed to weather conditions.
Regularly required to lift and/or carry heavy objects up to 50 pounds. Disaster Service Worker
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of El Segundo employees in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
Supplemental Information AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of El Segundo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex or sexual orientation. The City of El Segundo maintains and enforces a zero-tolerance policy relating to substance abuse and maintains a smoke-free workplace.
Non-represented part-time, hourly positions do not qualify for City benefits, except as required by law. Employees are enrolled in Social Security upon hire.
Hourly employees may not exceed 999 hours in a fiscal year basis (July 1 through June 30) unless previously authorized. There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice.