The Job The County of San Bernardino offers a unique training opportunity for innovative individuals with strong analytical skills looking to advance their career in public service. Upon successful completion of the Trainee Period, incumbents are eligible to automatically promote to Staff Analyst II ($61,089.60 - $83,948.80 Annually)Staff Analyst II Trainees
plan, coordinate, and perform a variety of highly complex and responsible administrative, operational, research, and analytical functions to support and advise their designated departments' management activities. These positions typically provide support and advice to department management in a variety of functional areas with department wide impact such as budget and fiscal management, contracts administration, grants management, legislative analysis, facilities planning, and organizational, operational and staffing analysis. The eligible list established by this recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies throughout the County as well as in the County Fire District and Special Districts
. Applicants will be asked to indicate their availability and preference for referral to the different agencies in the Supplemental Questionnaire.
The County Fire District and Special Districts are separate entities from the County of San Bernardino, and as such, compensation and benefits for their positions are set forth in a different compensation plan.
Click here for a summary of benefits. For additional details, refer to the Non-Represented Employee Compensation Plan . CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Travel throughout the County is required. Employees will be required to make provisions for transportation and may be required to use personal vehicles (mileage reimbursement is available). At the time of hire, a valid California Class C driver license and proof of automobile liability insurance must be produced for the individual providing the transportation.
- Background: Candidates selected for this position must pass a background investigation and medical examination including drug screening; candidates selected for law enforcement departments, public safety positions, or positions where legally required, must pass a more stringent background check.
- Promotion: Incumbents in the class of Staff Analyst II Trainee are eligible for promotion to Staff Analyst II ($5,090.80-$6,995.73 monthly) upon meeting the minimum qualifications for Staff Analyst II (see job description) and upon receipt of a satisfactory work progress report. Incumbents must be promoted within 24 months of hire or be terminated.
These positions require both
education and experience; to advance in the process applicants must meet one of the two options for Experience and
one of the two options for Education: REQUIRED EXPERIENCE Option 1
Eighteen (18) months of full-time equivalent experience supporting management or professional level administrative services staff
(staff equivalent to County of San Bernardino Staff Analyst I or higher level classifications
, see job description) in any of the following areas: budget preparation/monitoring, fiscal/accounting functions; contracts, bid/proposal, or grant management; research and analytical studies; organizational studies; data/ statistical analysis and reporting; organizational/operational/staffing analysis; and/or personnel management. Option 2
One (1) year of full-time equivalent professional level administrative experience
( duties and responsibilities equivalent to a County of San Bernardino Staff Analyst I classification
, see job description) performing analytical duties as a primary job function
in any of the following areas: budget/fiscal management, financial analysis and/or accounting; contracts, bid/proposal, or grant management; special projects coordination; facilities and capital improvement planning; data/ statistical analysis and reporting; and/or organizational/staffing analysis or personnel management. . REQUIRED EDUCATION Option 1
in public/business administration, behavioral/social science, accounting/finance or other relevant field of study. Option 2 Associate degree
in public/business administration, behavioral/social science, accounting/finance or other relevant field of study AND two (2) years of experience*
supporting management or professional level administrative services staff in any of the following areas: budget preparation/monitoring, fiscal/accounting functions;
contracts, bid/proposal, or grant management; research and analytical studies; organizational studies; data/ statistical analysis and reporting; organizational, operational, staffing analysis; and/or personnel management. *
The 2 years of experience used to qualify under Education Option 2 will be treated as a substitution for the Bachelor's degree and will not count towards any of options under the Required Experience.
Important Notes Regarding Qualifying Education and Experience:
Desired Qualifications Ideal candidates
- Qualifying degrees or coursework must be completed at a college or university accredited by any accrediting association recognized by the United States Department of Education. Degrees or coursework completed outside the U.S. must be accompanied with an evaluation report from a reputable credential evaluation service showing equivalency to degrees or coursework completed at a college or university accredited by any accrediting association recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Qualifying experience must be clearly demonstrated in detail in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- General office/clerical, retail sales, eligibility worker, employment services, child support services and other similar experience is not considered qualifying.
will be self-motivated individuals and collaborative team players with the ability to perform complex, sensitive, and detailed administrative and analytical work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative to make decisions, develop solutions, and meet deadlines.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities include:
Selection Process Application Procedure :
- Familiarity with or ability to learn and understand principles and practices relevant to governmental budget administration and fiscal procedures, contracts, grants and bid/proposal management, project management, facilities and capital improvement planning, data science/statistical analysis, and/or organizational/staffing analysis or personnel management.
- Ability to conduct in-depth research, analyze and interpret a wide variety of complex data and information, identify options, and make viable recommendations
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to prepare clear and accurate administrative reports
- Proficient with or intuitive ability to learn to work with enterprise financial management systems such as SAP.
To receive priority consideration for this excellent opportunity, please complete and submit the online employment application and supplemental questionnaire as soon as possible. Applications will be processed as needed; recruitment may close at any time once a sufficient number of qualified applications are received. Note:
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application and/or the supplemental questionnaire.
To ensure timely and successful submission of your online application, please allow ample time to complete and submit your application before the posted filing deadline. Applicants will be automatically logged-out if they have not submitted the application and all required materials prior to the posted deadline. Once your application has been successfully submitted you will receive an onscreen confirmation and an email. We recommend that you save and/or print these for your records.
If you require technical assistance, please click HERE to review the Government Jobs online application guide , or contact their Toll-Free Applicant Support line at (855) 524-5627. Please note that Human Resources is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by computer or browser used to submit the application. Selection Process:
The selection process will consist of a competitive evaluation of qualifications based on the application and responses to the supplemental questions. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the appointing authority for further consideration. EEO/ADA:
San Bernardino County is an
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant employer, committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants. ADA Accommodation:
If you have a disability and require accommodations in the testing process, submit the Special Testing Accommodations Request Form within one week of a recruitment filing deadline.Veterans' Preference:
Eligible veterans and their spouse or widow(er) who are not current County employees
may be awarded additional Veterans' Preference points. Click here for information and instructions to request Veteran's Preference points. For important information on employment processes and submitting job applications, see links below: Guide to Completing a County Job Application Applicant Information and the County Employment Process
Closing Date/Time: Continuous