Description: CLASSIFICATION TITLE:
Administrator III UNION CODE:
Full-time PAY PLAN:
12-month WORKPLACE TYPE:
On-site ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
$140,000 - $160,000 annually
- However, offer amount will be commensurate with candidate’s experience, education, skills, and training.
CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays per year and more! See our benefits website for additional information. CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY:
Open to all qualified applicants SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT: FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION
, applications must be received by February 17, 2023 ; however, the position will remain open until filled. CSU requires
faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19
or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com] and questions may be sent to email@example.com . POSITION PURPOSE:
The Associate Dean for the School of Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering (NSME) reports to the Dean of NSME and assists the Dean in leading the departments and programs to carry out the school’s mission and goals in alignment with CSUB’s strategic plan. The Associate Dean works with the Department Chairs, School staff, and other University administrators to achieve common goals and outcomes. DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: A. Assist Dean with Planning, Initiative Implementation, etc.
Facilitate student recruitment, orientation, advising, retention, class scheduling, management of FTE targets, and budget allocations in consultation with the Dean and the Department Chairs. Assist the Dean with preparation of annual reports, school website, communications, and media. Manage NSME’s facilities and infrastructure, including safety and risk management issues in consultation with NSME faculty & staff, and assist the Dean in planning for renovated and new facilities. Chair the NSME Scholarship Committee and oversee the awarding of student scholarships and awards. Assist the Dean with special projects as assigned. B. Curriculum & Class Scheduling Oversight
In consultation with the Dean and Department Chairs, oversee curriculum and facilitate class scheduling. Serve as ex-officio member of the NSME curriculum committee. With the Department Chairs, oversee and facilitate the program development and other curricular initiatives targeted at improving student learning and retention. Serve as a resource to NSME faculty on curriculum development. With the NSME assessment coordinator, facilitate accreditation and assessment activities. Oversee articulation agreements with community colleges. C. Student Success Development
Develop and facilitate initiatives and related grant-writing to enhance student success in NSME. Assist the Dean to implement GI2025 initiatives. Oversee student affairs in NSME. D. NSME Student Success Center & Tutoring Center Oversight
Represent the school on the Advising Leadership Team. Provide direction and oversight to the NSME Advising Coordinator and professional advising team. Maintain open and transparent communication with faculty tutoring coordinators. E. NSME Outreach & Engagement
Represent the dean’s office at various School and University-wide committees and the wider community. Attend committee meetings and University functions as the Dean’s representative when the Dean is unable to attend. Assist the dean in developing regional relationships with industry, community organizations, and other higher education institutions. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE -
An earned doctorate from an accredited institution in a field appropriate to one of the departments in the School, and an outstanding record of teaching, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment as an Associate or Full professor with tenure in a discipline represented by the school. Demonstrated prior leadership experience as an administrator, department chair, academic leader, or equivalent experience (minimum of one year). SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA’s) -
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Demonstrated skills in management of fiscal and personnel resources, facilities, research or academic program management and evaluation.
- Successful experience working with faculty and administrators from a variety of disciplines, programs, and university divisions.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to student success.
- Demonstrated skills in organization, management, problem-solving, and collaborative decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to establish good working relationships with various School constituencies in a collegial and consultative manner, including faculty, students, staff, other administrators, alumni, industry, community members, and the public.
- Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the campus and community, and sensitivity to the needs of all students.
- Knowledge of the School’s disciplines and undergraduate curriculum at a level sufficient for collaboration with department chairs for course planning and scheduling
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret, communicate, and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work occasional holidays and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: SEDENTARY WORK
- Administrative experience at a four-year university, preferably a comprehensive or master’s level university.
- Significant experience with accreditation, preferably for programs within NSME.
- Significant experience with curriculum design, assessment, program review and evaluation.
- Experience supporting community engagement, student internships or service learning.
- Management of multi-faculty or interdisciplinary research, grants, and contracts.
- Experience in offering STEM faculty development programs.
- Experience overseeing lab safety and equipment management.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
- involves mainly sitting; minimal walking and standing; lifting light weight objects limited to 15 pounds. ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
N/A SPECIAL CONDITIONS: SCREENING:
Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and interest in the position. BACKGROUND CHECK:
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position. SENSITIVE POSITION:
Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community. MANDATED REPORTER: Limited
: The person holding this position is considered a limited mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017. CONFLICT OF INTEREST:
A “designated position” in the CSU’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. GENERAL INFORMATION:
It is the policy of California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work. EEO STATEMENT:
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled