The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Candidates seeking an accommodation from this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis. PART TIME NON-CAREER/SEASONAL
To oversee assigned aquatics program areas, functions, and/or aquatics facilities by developing and providing trainings, scheduling and supervising subordinate employees, ensuring a safe aquatics facility and quality aquatics programs.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year.SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
Direct supervision is provided by a higher-level position. Responsibilities include the direct supervision of lower-level aquatics personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed:
- Supervise, evaluate, assign, and train assigned personnel.
- Oversee administrative processes and ensure accuracy of paperwork for assigned program areas and functions (e.g. swim team, cashiers, swim lessons, other aquatics programs).
- Provide staff training for assigned program area or function.
- Provide customer service including email, phone, and in person.
- Conduct year-round certification classes for American Red Cross lifeguarding, CPR, and first aid as assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring process of seasonal aquatics staff.
- Lead, plan, promote and implement aquatics special events.
- Utilize a computer and computer registration software.
- Verify staff time cards for accuracy and input into electronic payroll system.
- Schedule staff as needed and ensure proper staff scheduling for aquatics program areas/functions and/or aquatics facilities.
- Rescue and resuscitate drowning persons; aid persons affected by life threatening injuries.
- Render care in the latest American Red Cross techniques in water safety, lifeguarding, first aid, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (C.P.R.) to persons in need of assistance.
- Prepare and maintain all required reports and records.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Customer service
- Principles of supervision
- Current and preventative lifeguarding techniques
- Rules and regulations of an aquatic facility.
- Swimming rescue techniques, C.P.R., and first aid.
- Instruction techniques and materials related to aquatic activities.
- Principles and practice of supervision.
- Basic accounting principles.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Able to work independently and exercise sound judgement.
- Provide customer service including email, phone, and in person.
- Become lifeguard certified by time of appointment and maintain certification.
- Become lifeguard instructor certified by time of appointment and maintain certification.
- Swim with proficiency and endurance.
- Prevent accidents and perform effective rescues.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of an aquatics facility.
- Perform swimming rescues, C.P.R., and first aid.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees and the public.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Prepare, read, and write various reports.
- Instruct students in a variety of aquatics oriented skill level classes.
- This a 'mandatory reporter' classification.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Two seasons or 2.5 months of experience at an aquatics facility as a lifeguard. Two seasons of experience supervising staff preferred.
PROOF OF EDUCATION
Should education be used to qualify for this position, then p roof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees should be submitted with your application and will be required at the time of appointment . Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. Evaluation of education records will be due at time of appointment. SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Must be 18 years of age at time of appointment.
Driver License :
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Possession of all current course completion certificates and completion of trainings as required by current Federal, State, and Local law.
- Possession of an American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR and AED certification by time of appointment.
- Possession of an American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification by time of appointment.
PROOF OF CERTIFICATION
Proof of the required certificate and/or license should be submitted with your application and will be required at the time of appointment . Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass a physical, criminal background check, and drug test.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of appointment.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK CONDITIONS
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Must have the ability to walk, start, and stop frequently; run and swim frequently; perform simple and power grasping; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with participants and staff; visual acuity to read and record documents and make observations. Must be able to work at a computer station for a prolonged amount of time; must be able to spend prolonged periods of time in pool water; must be able to intermittently, lift, carry or move equipment of 20 pounds or less. must maintain the physical ability required to pass the American Red Cross Lifeguard certification;
Work may be performed outdoors with exposure to heat, often over 100 degrees, sun, noise, dust, and pollens and pool chemicals.
This position requires worked to be performed various hours including early morning, day, evenings and weekends.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on full-time experience (40 hours per week). Qualifying experience is calculated to the full-time equivalent (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week ).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
- Proof of certification and/or license should be submitted online with your application. Proof of certification and/or license will be required at time of appointment.
- Proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees should be submitted? online ?with your application . Proof of education will be required at time of appointment.
- Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com , or by FAX to (916) 596-1556. If submitting via FAX /email , please include your name and Job # 009142-23-YPCE on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline ;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) - All applications received by the final filing deadline will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. The hiring department will select the most competitive applications for further consideration. Human Resources will only evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications, as stated on the job announcement, for applications selected by the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan /fingerprinting and provide proof of receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities ;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org ; or
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726
Did you know that the City offers bilingual pay? That's right, most labor agreements offer the option of providing employees with bilingual pay if the department deems it to be operationally necessary.
Pension Reform Act
The City of Sacramento is covered by the California Public Employees' Retirement System, and as such, must adhere to the California Public Employee's Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) of 2013. Please note that the provisions within this act may affect or impact an applicant's eligibility and/or selection for open vacancies at the City of Sacramento.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Civil Service Rules: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Divisions/Administration/HR-Boards-Commissions/Civil-Service-Board
Union Contracts: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Divisions/Labor-Relations/Labor-Agreements
Salary Schedule: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Document-Library
Closing Date/Time: 10/31/2023 11:59 PM Pacific