The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Candidates seeking an accommodation from this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis. NON-CAREER PART TIME/SEASONAL Employment dates for this position are from May to August, 2023 DEFINITION
Under general supervision, perform a wide variety of duties involving the operation of a food service facility at Camp Sacramento including, preparing, baking, and cooking large quantities of food; dispensing food for the residents and employees; and, maintaining sanitary conditions. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The Assistant Camp Chef assists the Camp Chef in inventorying, preparing, cooking, and dispensing food; cleans and maintains culinary equipment and dining facilities. The Assistant Camp Chef is distinguished from the Camp Chef in that the Camp Chef supervises lower level personnel engaged in the preparation and serving of food. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Supervision is provided by the Camp Chef. The Assistant Camp Chef classification does not supervise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Prepare main dishes, meats, salads, desserts, and baked goods using ovens, stoves, and other kitchen equipment.
- Perform a variety of tasks to prepare food to be cooked and served, including cleaning, chopping, weighing, and measuring ingredients.
- Ensure the dining room, kitchen, equipment, and utensils used in preparing food are kept clean, and in proper working condition.
- Sanitize food preparation equipment and food preparation areas.
- Take and record temperature of food and food storage areas such as refrigerators and freezers; store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Maintain high standards of sanitation and safety in the preparation and serving of food.
- Follow staff policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge of:
- Methods of preparing and serving a variety of food in large quantities.
- Menu modifications for special diets.
- Operation of commercial cooking equipment.
- Principles, procedures, and equipment used in the storage, care, preparation, cooking and dispensing of food in large quantity.
- Proper food handling techniques.
- Kitchen sanitation and safety measures used in the operation, cleaning, and care of utensils, equipment, and work areas.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Education:
- Follow and/or adjust recipes for food preparation in large quantities.
- Plan and carry out the work of a given menu.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Obtain food and supplies in the correct quantities with minimal waste.
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance.
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Evaluate food quality.
Three (3) months of full-time paid experience cooking and preparing food for large groups.License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid California Class C Drive License and ServSafe certification are desirable. SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONSAge:
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment. Assessments:
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass a physical and a criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
- Successful candidates must participate in a mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.
- This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Physical Requirements
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving walking, bending, stooping, and standing for extended periods of time on hard surfaces; and, lifting and carrying materials and objects weighing up to 50 pounds.Environmental Conditions:
Employees must be able to work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations; exposed to cold weather conditions. Working Conditions
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox. 1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on full-time experience (40 hours per week). Qualifying experience is calculated to the full-time equivalent (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position.Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com , or by FAX to (916) 596-1556. If submitting via FAX/email, please include your name and Job # 009019-23-YPCE
on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire:
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
- Possession of the minimum qualifications is not necessarily a guarantee of further advancement in the selection process.
3. Screening Committee : (Pass/Fail)- All applications received by the final filing deadline will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. The hiring department will select the most competitive applications for further consideration. Human Resources will only evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications, as stated on the job announcement, for applications selected by the hiring department.
4. Interview Process : Human Resources will forward applications to the hiring department. Those determined to be the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan /fingerprinting ; and provide proof of receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Applicant Support at (855) 524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities ;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org ; or
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726
This position does not have Benefits.
Pension Reform Act
The City of Sacramento is covered by the California Public Employees' Retirement System, and as such, must adhere to the California Public Employee's Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) of 2013. Please note that the provisions within this act may affect or impact an applicant's eligibility and/or selection for open vacancies at the City of Sacramento.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Closing Date/Time: 7/31/2023 11:59 PM Pacific