The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Candidates seeking an accommodation from this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis. NON-CAREER PART TIME/SEASONAL Employment dates for this position are from May to August, 2023 DEFINITION
Under general direction leading, supervising, and participating in a wide variety of group activities; and, training and supervising subordinate staff. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. This position is distinguished from the Camp Sacramento Supervisor in that the former is responsible for the overall management of Camp Sacramento; whereas, the Camp Program Director is responsible for the administration of camp group activities. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by the Camp Sacramento Supervisor. The Camp Program Director supervises lower level personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Lead and monitor social, recreational, and outdoor adventure programs.
- make recommendations to the Camp Sacramento Supervisor regarding the overall program.
- Supervise, evaluate staff and train lower level staff.
- Schedule work assignments and train staff.
- Inventory and obtain all equipment, supplies, and materials needed for programs and events.
- Keep accurate records and prepare basic reports and accident/incident forms.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, such as a copy machine, telephone, computer, and computer software.
- Greet and interact positively with camp participants.
- Understand, follow, and enforce all camp policies and procedures.
- Supervisory techniques and practices
- Recreation, social, and outdoor adventure programs.
- Basic first aid and safety practices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, and program participants.
- Supervise, assign, train, and evaluate subordinate staff.
- organize, and lead recreation activities for varying ages, groups, and sizes.
- Operate standard office equipment and computer software.
- Interpret, explain, follow, and apply camp policies and procedures.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
Six (6) months experience leading and supervising a variety of recreation programs for all age groups in a recreational or camp setting.SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
For child-care position, candidates must meet qualifications in accordance with current laws and regulations.
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass physical and criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Loss of the Class C License is cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Successful candidates must participate in a mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.
- This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving walking, bending, stooping, and standing for extended periods of time on hard surfaces; and, lifting and carrying materials and objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Employees must be able to work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations; exposure to cold weather conditions.
Working Conditions :
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox. 1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on full-time experience (40 hours per week). Qualifying experience is calculated to the full-time equivalent (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position. Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com , or by FAX to (916) 596-1556. If submitting via FAX/email, please include your name and Job #009048-23-YPCE
on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire:
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
- Possession of the minimum qualifications is not necessarily a guarantee of further advancement in the selection process.
3. Screening Committee : (Pass/Fail)- All applications received by the final filing deadline will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. The hiring department will select the most competitive applications for further consideration. Human Resources will only evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications, as stated on the job announcement, for applications selected by the hiring department.
4. Interview Process : Human Resources will forward applications to the hiring department. Those determined to be the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan /fingerprinting ; and provide proof of receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Applicant Support at (855) 524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities ;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org ; or
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726
This position does not have Benefits.
Pension Reform Act
The City of Sacramento is covered by the California Public Employees' Retirement System, and as such, must adhere to the California Public Employee's Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) of 2013. Please note that the provisions within this act may affect or impact an applicant's eligibility and/or selection for open vacancies at the City of Sacramento.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Closing Date/Time: 7/31/2023 11:59 PM Pacific