The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Candidates seeking an accommodation from this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis. THIS POSTING WILL BE OPEN UNTIL FILLED
With supervisor approval, incumbents may be eligible for intermittent remote work; however, they must physically reside within the State of California with the ability to report to Sacramento-based physical worksites daily if required.
IDEAL CANDIDATE STATEMENT
This position is within the Information Technology Operations Division of the Department of Information Technology. It is part of a team responsible for server infrastructure, virtualization environment, directory services, email, identity management, monitoring and alerting, backups, and enterprise storage. The candidate is expected to work closely with Senior Systems Engineers, Principal System Engineers and business stakeholders. The candidate should also be able to work independently with minimal supervision on incidents, changes, and project tasks.
The ideal candidate will have three or more years of hands-on experience that includes two or more of the following:
- Windows Server OS and Active Directory services
- Linux OS (preferably Redhat)
- Office 365 Administration/Services
- Virtualization technologies, i.e., VMware
- Identity Management
Additional experience with the following is preferred:
- Veeam Backup Solution
- Dell Server and Storage Hardware
Under general supervision, the Systems Engineer performs a variety of professional, technical and systems programming and/or systems administration duties involving the implementation and maintenance of software and hardware infrastructure that provides Citywide connectivity capability between different platforms that manage information technology resources and support the execution of automated applications. The scope of systems includes all computing platforms from PCs to mainframes and associated networks. Incumbents may be assigned to duties in any one or a combination of platforms, operating systems and associated products.
This journey-level professional classification is populated with multiple incumbents. The Systems Engineer performs a variety of routine network administration and systems programming duties in support of centralized and departmental operations,including computing platforms ranging from PCs to mainframes and associated networks. Incumbents may be assigned to duties in any one or a combination of platforms, operating systems and associated products. The Systems Engineer is the journey-level professional class for network administration and systems programming. Incumbents typically work alone on routine or regular work assignments. The Systems Engineer solves non-routine problems while referring only unusual matters to the supervisor.
This class is distinguished from that of the lower-level classification of LAN Administrator in that the latter focuses on performing such functions asperforms desktop software installation, debugging, testing and maintenance, documentation and upgrading; while the former performs similar duties in the more complex environment of network servers, mainframes, switches and routers. This classification is distinguished from the Senior Systems Engineer in that the latter is the advanced journey level with greater latitude in decision-making and greater responsibility in the areas of design and implementation.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by and Information Technology Manager, Information Technology Supervisor, Principal Systems Engineer or department management staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Provides technical assistance and phone support to users with computer hardware and software problems.
- Installs, tests, and maintains operating system software, proprietary application software and hardware infrastructure or connectivity capability; monitors and tunes systems for optimum performance.
- Monitors network switches and routers, analyzes data and recommends solutions on citywide network connectivity issues.
- Carries out system software installation, configuration and maintenance; identifies the need for and availability of downloads and applies software updates, patches, enhancements and fixes
- Researches new problems/issues on vendors' web for potential resolutions.
- Configures and installs new desktop computers and servers; participates in cost/benefit analyses for new system software and hardware
- Performs daily housekeeping tasks including adding, modifying and deleting of users, groups and objects for the Directory Service tree and/or other products in compliance with network security standards.
- Performs other or related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of :
- Principles of and current trends in information technology design and implementation across all platforms from PCs to mainframes.
- Multiple operating systems, programming languages, tools.
- Network architecture and design fundamentals.
- Wide area network and local area network architecture and infrastructure; networking fundamentals, technologies and protocols.
- Backup and recovery methods.
- Fiber optics, wiring capacities/limitations and Intranet and extranet technologies.
- Human factors design and man-machine interface and training needs assessment techniques.
Skill in :
- Performing a variety of professional, technical and system programming and/or systems administration duties.
- Using various operating systems and platforms that manage system resources.
- Operating System installation, troubleshooting, programming.
- Problem solving beyond a basic technical level.
Ability to :
- Listen well and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Diagnose and resolve hardware and software problems beyond the basic level.
- Learn quickly and adapt to new technologies.
- Train and mentor lower-level IT personnel and provide training to end users.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Three years of hands-on networking experience, systems administration or operating system programming in a multi-platform, large scale application and operating system environment. Prior experience must include the testing, installation, documentation, and maintenance on system software and hardware/network configurations.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or a related field is preferred.
Additional qualifying experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
PROOF OF EDUCATION
Should education be used to qualify for this position, then p roof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees should be submitted with your application and will be required at the time of appointment . Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. Evaluation of education records will be due at time of appointment.
Driver License :
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
On an intermittent basis, sit at a desk; twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; occasionally walk, stand, kneel, reach, stoop, and bend; push and pull to open and close drawers; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation; use telephone, and finger dexterity to use keyboard and to operate standard office equipment.
Standard office setting with moderate noise levels; controlled temperature conditions. Incumbents may interact with members of the public or with staff under emotionally stressful conditions while interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application for further consideration ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and/or past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on full-time experience (40 hours per week). Qualifying experience is calculated to the full-time equivalent (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week ).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
- Proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees should be submitted online with your application . Proof of education will be required at time of appointment.
- Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position.
- If you’re requesting Veteran’s credit, a copy of your DD214 must be submitted online with your application . Information regarding the use of Veteran’s credit can be found in the Civil Service Board rules under rule 4.9C.
- Applicants are responsible for attaching a copy of their DD214 to each position for which they apply.
2. Training and Experience Exam : (Weighted 100%) - The questions located at the end of the application are the Training and Experience (T&E) Exam. Responses to the T&E questions will be rated and scored. This exam will evaluate the relevance, level, and progression of a candidate's education, training and experience. The exam score will determine your ranking on the eligible list for this job. When completing the T&E questions, please note:
- Responses to the T&E questions must be submitted online; paper questionnaires will not be accepted.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the T&E questions.
3. Eligibility : Candidates who pass the Training and Experience Test will be placed on the eligible list. The hiring department may contact candidates for interview at any time during the life of the one-year list. Candidate’s eligibility expires one year from the date of notification of a passing score for the Systems Engineer Examination
4. Screening Committee : (Pass/Fail)- All candidates that pass the examination and are in one of the top three ranks will have their application forwarded to the hiring department for review. The hiring department will select the most competitive applications for further consideration. Human Resources will only evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications, as stated on the job announcement, for applications selected by the hiring department.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan /fingerprinting; and provide proof of receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Applicant Support at (855) 524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities ;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org ; or
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726
Did you know that the City offers bilingual pay? That's right, most labor agreements offer the option of providing employees with bilingual pay if the department deems it to be operationally necessary.
Pension Reform Act
The City of Sacramento is covered by the California Public Employees' Retirement System, and as such, must adhere to the California Public Employee's Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) of 2013. Please note that the provisions within this act may affect or impact an applicant's eligibility and/or selection for open vacancies at the City of Sacramento.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Civil Service Rules: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Divisions/Administration/HR-Boards-Commissions/Civil-Service-Board
Union Contracts: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Divisions/Labor-Relations/Labor-Agreements
Salary Schedule: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Document-Library
Closing Date/Time: Continuous