The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of General Service Worker (RESET)
to fill multiple vacancies in the Street Maintenance and Solid Waste Divisions
of the Public Works Department
and the Parks Division
of the Parks, Recreation, and C ommunity Services Department
. The established eligibility lists may be used to fill additional vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
Candidates meeting the following requirements will be considered. All others will not be considered:
- Between 18 to 23 years old.
- Completion of 12th grade education.
- Live in the City of Riverside.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a California driver's license.
- Willingness to obtain temporary full-time employment.
- Have physical strength, agility, and coordination to possibly perform manual labor tasks.
- Ability to provide proof of enrollment into an educational program no more than 6 months after employment start.
The Riverside Employment Services Education and Training (RESET)
program is a full-time, temporary, non-benefited employment program designed for Riverside's young adults, ages 18-23 years old, lasting no longer than one year with the ability to extend an additional 1,000 hours in length. For more information on this program click here
This position will, under direct supervision, perform a variety of unskilled and limited skill maintenance tasks; and perform related work as required.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Dig ditches, trenches and post holes; backfill trenches; load and unload dirt ant construction materials.
- Cut grass and weeds; rake and load grass and brush; mow lawns and clean grounds; assist in planting, watering and caring for shrubs and flowers.
- Assist in maintaining and preparing athletic fields including hand grading, filling and shaping of baseball diamonds.
- Assist journey level building maintenance trade workers in painting projects, moving furniture and equipment, removing and laying of carpets, and construction or maintenance projects as assigned.
- Assist other skilled workers in a variety of crafts and trades; may act as flag person when working on City streets; may drive City vehicles, as assigned.
- Deliver utility cut-off notices on residential and business doors of designated utility customers.
- Deliver City locks, meter reading cards, or other miscellaneous items to customers.
- Tactfully respond to citizen inquiries and/or complaints.
- Maintain assigned City vehicles.
- Assist with storm drain channel clean up.
- Assist the Wastewater Operations staff with general housekeeping, septic receiving, bio-solids handling, sampling activities and basic laboratory assistance.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.Necessary Special Requirements:
Highly Desirable Qualifications for the Streets Division of the Public Works Department:
- Must be between the ages of 18 - 23.
- Must currently reside in the City of Riverside.
- Possession of or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid Class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Highly Desirable Qualifications for the Solid Waste Division of the Public Works Department:
- Experience in performing duties in any of the following areas: concrete work, street maintenance and construction, or sign shop.
Highly Desirable qualifications for Parks Division of the Parks, Recreation & Community Services Department:
- Possess physical strength, agility, and coordination to perform manual labor tasks, including the ability to lift 55 pounds.
- Heavy manual labor experience.
Participants must show proof of re-entry into educational system after appointment.
- Current possession of a valid driver's license.
- Experience performing duties in the following areas:
- Indoor or Outdoor Maintenance experience in public or private sector
- Janitorial services
- Cleaning restrooms
Must enroll in and complete an approved educational course before the completion of 12 months. Books and registration for one (1) approved course shall be reimbursed from the RESET Program Account as approved by Program Coordinator. Verification upon completion of the course is required with a minimum grade of a C-. No monies will be refundable to incumbent for canceled or dropped courses. Should participation in the program be extended past the initial one year period, participants are required to enroll in and complete a second approved educational course before the completion of an additional 1,000 hours.Training:
Must actively participate and attend the required personal development training to be conducted by the Human Resources Department at the designated time and location.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental QuestionnairePLEASE NOTE: FOR DIRECTIONS OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
Positions that require, or may require, a California Commercial Driver's License
are considered Safety Sensitive and are monitored by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Any candidate being considered for a Safety Sensitive position must submit authorization forms to the City immediately upon request to begin the pre-employment process.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.