Description PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
: To work at an advanced level, with limited supervision, maintaining and repairing Agency residential and commercial buildings and maintaining grounds and landscaped areas of Agency facilities. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND SUPPORT/GUIDANCE EXERCISED
- Receives direct supervision from the Maintenance Supervisor
- Receives lead direction from Maintenance Coordinator
- Receives functional guidance from higher level staff
- Provides technical and directional guidance and training to other maintenance staff
Only up to 100 candidates may be invited to the written examination. Only up to 32 who pass the written examination may be invited to the oral exam. Both the written and the oral exams must be passed in order to be placed on the eligible list for this classification.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis to establish an eligible list for this classification. Essential Areas of Responsibility The Maintenance Worker performs a variety of skilled maintenance functions which may include:
- Prioritize work orders and create schedules
- Provide back-up workforce when needed
- Inspect units for HUD compliance and/or unit turnover maintenance and repair
- Ensure proper materials and supplies are maintained and stored
- Assist supervisor in monitoring quality control
- Provide training and direction for staff
- Monitor work performance of other maintenance workers on a project-by-project basis and report status to supervisor regularly
- Use a computer or hand-held device to input job data, code and track invoices, write correspondence and prepare reports
- Perform duties on an "on-call" status
- Maintain inventory and order supplies
- Stock work vehicle with needed supplies and equipment
- Test, clean and repair tools and equipment
- Make recommendations on purchases of new equipment and supplies
- Maintain records and logs of work
General Facility Upkeep and Maintenance
Work independently, as assigned, to:
Site & Grounds Maintenance
- Complete repairs, such as plumbing, electrical, roofing, appliances and HVAC
- Repair and hang prepped doors, furniture, counter tops, cabinets, shelving, floor tile and other carpentry items
- Patch, touch up, paint and finish dry wall and other interior and exterior surfaces
- Repair and replace locks and hardware
- Repair or replace windows and doors and coverings such as screens, blinds and drapes
- Manage electronic systems such as, but not limited to, gate controllers, call systems, video surveillance, and alarms
- Deliver and install appliances
- Maintain work vehicle
- Operate and maintain hand and power tools and equipment
- Identify major maintenance needs and report to appropriate staff
- Respond to tenant lock-outs and other emergencies
Education & Experience
- Remove concrete and builds forms; mix and pour to replace concrete
- Fill holes and patch asphalt
- Check, install and rebuild sprinkler and other irrigation systems
- Plant, water, mow, edge and care for lawns
- Plant, cultivate, prune and water shrubs, trees, flowers and other plants
- Hoe, rake and sweep weeds and garden debris
- Pick up trash and debris and take to landfill/transfer station
- Trim and remove trees and branches
- Clean off and repair roofs, gutters and downspouts
- Repair or replace benches, tables, fences, signs, playground equipment and related structures
- Operate power equipment
Any combination of experience and education that would be likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities could be qualifying, as determined by the Agency. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Experience
- Three (3) years experience and proficiency in general maintenance repair work such as glazing, plumbing, electrical, roofing, appliances; HVAC; repair, carpentry such as install doors, furniture, counter top, cabinets, shelving, floor tile, and other carpentry items; hang tape, patch, texture paint, stain drywall and other interior surfaces; repair and install locks and hardware; repair or replace windows and doors and coverings such as screens, blinds and drapes along with emphasis on writing and communication skills Education
- Graduation from an accredited high school, or possession of an equivalent certificate or diploma recognized by the State of California (e.g. G.E.D.). College courses in construction technology or a related field are desirable. Licenses and Certificates
: Must possess and maintain an applicable California Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the Agency's insurance carrier. Other Requirements
: Will be required to take and successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination. Will be required to drive an Agency vehicle during the course of employment.Job Duties & Responsibilities REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Knowledge of
: Methods, materials, tools and practices used in the painting, plumbing, carpentry, heating, air conditioning, and electrical trades. Occupational hazard and safety considerations and precautions of the building, electrical or mechanical trades. Standard practices, processes, and material involved in trades related to building maintenance. Correct use of oral and written English. Ability to
: Demonstrate good customer service skills. Make accurate estimates of time and materials required for repair and maintenance work. Keep simple records and make reports. Meet the public effectively and give information regarding grounds and building facilities and Agency regulations. Use and care for tools and equipment employed in the building, electrical, masonry or mechanical trades. E stablish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, residents, contractors, and the general public. Follow oral and written instructions. Communicate both orally and in writing. Read, understand, and apply Material Data Safety Sheets (MSDS). Use a computer or hand-held device to input job data, code and track invoices, write correspondence and prepare reports. Lift heavy objects such as refrigerators or ranges into and out of trucks or other carriers with the assistance of other maintenance staff. Perform manual labor throughout the work day. Physical Abilities and Work Environment
: Must have the ability to drive a motor vehicle, work indoors or outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Requires frequent walking, standing, and repetitive use of hands. Occasional physical activities such as sitting, bending, climbing stairs and ladders, squatting, kneeling, working in limited spaces, crawling, stooping, stretching, twisting at the neck and waist, working in awkward and confined spaces, and working at heights. Occasionally lifts and carries items of up to 50 lbs to chest height. Frequently walks over uneven ground. Handles a variety of chemical compounds and solvents used in the cleaning equipment and housing units. Physical and Emotional Demands
: The physical demands described here are representative o f those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The inability to cope with a stressful work environment does not constitute a protected disability.
Special Working Conditions:
- Able to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to report to work on a regular and reliable basis.
- Must be able to attend meetings and trainings offsite.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, more than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Specific vi sion abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Exposure to blood borne pathogens.
- Occasional on-call responsibilities.
Amount of Time Categories
Never 0 hours
Occasionally less to or equal to 3 hours
Frequently 3 to 6 hours
Constantly 6-8 hours Physical Activity: Amount of Time: Activity: Amount of Time: Balancing
Occasionally Lifting/Carrying/ Pushing/Pulling
Constantly Bending/Twisting of Back
Occasionally Repetitive Motions
Constantly Fine Motor Skills
Constantly Kneeling/ Crouching
Occasionally Mental Activity: Amount of Time: Activity: Amount of Time: Communicate Verbally
Occasionally Critical Thinking
Frequently Reason and Analyze
Frequently Performing Calculations
Occasionally Environmental Activity: Amount of Time: Activity: Amount of Time: Drives motorized equipment or vehicles Noise level typical of an office
Occasionally How frequently are you required to perform work outdoors?
Frequently Noise level that requires you to raise your voice to speak to someone 3 feet away
Occasionally Is around moving machinery
Frequently Work environment is typical of:
Other building maintenance areas
Maintenance areas outdoors
Shared time across multiple environments Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of t his job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. PROBATIONARY PERIOD:
Employees hired into this classification shall service an initial probationary period of fifty-two (52) weeks of full-time service employment. This fifty-two (52) week period will be used to determine if performance of the employee is satisfactory and if employment should be continued.OTHER DUTIES
All employees may be assigned, and required to carry out, additional duties at any time. An employee with a known disability will only be assigned additional duties when the duty being added is an essential function of the position, or can be carried out with reasonable accommodation.
Every employee is expected to participate in discussions of individual, department and Agency performance and work on problem-solving teams as assigned. Any employee serving on a problem-solving team may be asked to carry out the role of team leader.
Any person driving for Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency must maintain a valid driver's license on his/her person, and demonstrate compliance with the motor vehicle law, standards of courtesy on the road and attention to safety. All drivers must maintain their insurability. As a condition of employment with SHRA, this employee will be required to complete a COVID-19 vaccination recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (including for emergency use) and provide proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department prior to employment.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous