Description The Departments:
The Finance Department administers the financial affairs of the City of Santa Clara, including City-owned public utilities. The department is comprised of five divisions, Administrative Services, Budget and Treasury, Accounting, Municipal Services, and Purchasing. Together these divisions carry out the mission of the Finance Department to ensure that the financial/fiscal activities of the City are performed, recorded, and presented in compliance with professional and ethical standards.
Silicon Valley Power
Since 1896, Silicon Valley Power (SVP) has provided electricity for residents and businesses in Santa Clara. The Electric Department has a budgeted staff of 198 employees who provide such diverse services as operating, maintaining and dispatching electric service, engineering, system planning, administrative and financial management, marketing, customer services, power trading, outdoor Wi-Fi services and dark fiber leasing services, all of which work together to make SVP successful for the City and its residents.
Water and Sewer Utilities
The Water and Sewer Utilities Department is a utility enterprise that provides planning, design, construction, maintenance, and operation of the City's water distribution system, sewer collection system, and recycled water system. For more information about Water and Sewer Utilities please visit the department website .
The City of Santa Clara is a full-service City. The Human Resources Department provides support to Citywide in several key areas: Benefits, Classification and Compensation, Recruitment, Employee and Labor Relations, Worker's Compensation, and Training. The Positions: Finance
Accounting - Student Intern II/III
The Finance Intern will have an opportunity to gain hands-on accounting and finance experience and learn about the various aspects of the accounting and finance functions in the City’s Finance Department. The Finance Intern will work directly under the supervision of a Senior Management Analyst and/or Principal Accountant but will assist other members of the finance team and will provide outstanding service to the internal clients. Some of the key responsibilities include reconciling daily credit card activities, validating data entries, analyzing and researching financial information pertaining to assets, liabilities, and financial management system, and assisting team members on ad hoc projects.
Municipal Services Division-Student Intern II/III
The Municipal Services Intern will have the opportunity to gain experience working with Utility Billing and Business Tax Systems and Procedures. The Municipal Services Intern will work directly under the supervision of a Senior Customer Service Representative and/or Customer Service Supervisor.
Key responsibilities may include:
Silicon Valley Power
- Assist with utility monthly billing audit preparation
- Update and maintain billing data and enter service orders into the utility billing system
- Assist with intake of Business Tax Affidavits and renewal licenses
- Assist in processing various revenue streams for account receivables
- May assist customers through various communication channels including email and phone inquiries
- Prepares a variety of correspondence and reports related to business tax, billing issues, and adjustments
- Provide administrative support for both Utility and Business Tax programs using the city’s electronic document filing system.
- The intern may also assist with various special projects for both Utility and Business Tax programs
Maps and Records Division - Student Intern II/III
The Maps & Records Division is responsible for maintaining all maps and records for the SVP Electric System, supporting all divisions of the utility. The format of our records ranges from hardcopy maps, Computer-Aided Drafting (AutoCAD) drawings, to an extensive Geographic Information System (GIS), and various other electronic databases.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- QA/QC tabular data in both GIS and spreadsheet and/or database programs
- Place and/or edit symbols in ESRI ArcGIS software
- Performs basic updates and data entry to a variety of spreadsheet and/or database programs
- Scans and files documents and drawings
- Reviews as-built drawings against GIS maps and AutoCAD drawings to confirm any necessary updates required
- Draws and perform updates to electrical schematic diagrams, panel wiring diagrams, substation layout drawings using AUTOCAD, and organizes associated documentation
Engineering Assistant - Student Intern II/III
The City of Santa Clara Electric Utility Department is currently seeking candidates for Engineering Assistant Interns. These positions are an opportunity for students who pursuing a degree in engineering and are interested in working in the Electric Utility Industry. These positions will provide students with diverse job experience through working on a variety of tasks and projects. Common tasks will include assisting with the research and creation of standards and specifications, creating cost estimates and supporting senior staff as needs arise. The hours are part-time (within the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday). The ideal candidate would be able to work 10-20 hours per week. As a position with the goal of learning from senior staff this position will be on-site.
This intern position will directly support engineering activities in the Electric Department. The intern will work with various Electric Utility staff to complete tasks and projects.
- Assistance with research and creation of standards and specifications
- Organize file folders and project directories.
- Assist in review of Public Works specifications and bids
- Conduct Field measurements, assist with utility design activities, and update record drawings;
- Assist in the review of plans and specifications for compliance with City rules and regulations and City engineering standards;
- Provide support for engineering projects including filing and data entry;
- Assist with digitalizing engineering documents and records
- Research past projects to create historical cost sheets for further cost estimates
- Assist in close out portion of projects to cleanup files for archiving
- Assist with electrical load research
- Assist with renewable power records and mapping.
- Other duties as assigned commensurate with experience and education.
Distribution Planning - Student Intern II
This position will work under the immediate or general supervision of Senior/Electric Utility engineer in Distribution system performs routine or general project based tasks assigned by the department. The candidates will get exposure to the power utility industry experience and may work under following scopes.
Under general direction and supervision of Senior/Electric utility engineer, performs in reviewing third party pole contact, field verification, finalizing as built, structural calc review using Ocalc software, update Ocalc database with completed jobs. Supports application related to 4g and 5g wireless networks contacts.Supports reviewing encroachment permit applications received from Public Works Department to address conflicts with existing SVP equipment. Under general direction and supervision of Senior/Electric utility engineer, performs planning electric service planning of new customers. Under general direction and supervision of Senior/Electric utility engineer, reviews PV interconnection applications from new customers. Assist department in drafting standards and material specifications.
Distribution Planning - Student Intern III
This position will work under the immediate or general supervision of Senior/Electric Utility engineer in Distribution system performs routine or general project-based tasks assigned by the department. The candidates will get exposure to the power utility industry experience and may work under following scopes.
Assist department in the process of load research, load forecast and area capacity planning. Performs tasks assigned related to building distribution model in simulation software. Under the supervision of Senior engineer, performs special projects including project management of capital projects. Assist department in planning electric service planning of new major customers. Under supervision of Senior/Electric Utility engineer, reviews PV interconnection applications from new commercial customers. Assist department in drafting standards and material specifications.
Business Services Division - Student Intern II/III
The Business Services Division is responsible for administrative activities and develops plans to achieve goals for the Department using the Strategic Plan. The division manages the budget, contracts, payments, debt, and maintains fiduciary controls to maintain financial health. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and numbers oriented with duties that may include:
• Reconcile financial transactions
• Budgetary research
• Maintain and update Excel spreadsheets
• Provide project support for data analytics
• Document business processes work flows, including flow charts
• Organize electric files in a database or shared folder structure
• Analyze processes and seek methods to streamline or create improvements
• Provide analytical support for meter data and rate design
• Performs other duties as required or assigned
Customer Engagement Division Student Intern I/II
The Customer Engagement Group is responsible for community outreach, customer relations and implementation of customer programs that include renewable energy, electrification initiatives, emobility, and energy efficiency. Work in a team environment to achieve common goals; evaluate situations and policy, identify problems, and exercise sound independent judgment within established guidelines. Interest in sustainability careers/green careers preferred.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
Water and Sewer Utilities
- Staff public facing events
- Answer and field inquiries
- Marketing research and outreach
- Social media content creation and outreach materials
- Process rebates: energy efficiency, electrification, and electric vehicle infrastructure
Compliance Division - Student Intern II/III
This intern position will directly support environmental activities in the Water & Sewer Utilities Department. The intern will work closely with Compliance staff and/or Managers, to complete tasks and projects.
Assists in the review of plans and files for regulatory compliance and recycled water, assists with implementing requirements related to stormwater, sanitary sewer and operating permits, conduct drinking water quality field samples and measurements, assists with developing environmental programs, assists with occupational/environmental safety program development and/or implementation, and provides administrative support for compliance programs including but not limited to filing and data entry. The intern may also complete various projects for both water and sewer utilities.
Engineering Division - Student Intern II/III
This intern position will directly support engineering activities in the Water & Sewer Utilities Department.
Duties include but are not limited to:
· Assist in the review of plans and specifications for compliance with City rules and regulations and City engineering standards;
· Conduct field measurements, data collection and engineering studies;
· Assist with utility design and update record drawings;
· Develop cost estimates, collect and calculate water system data;
· Provide administrative support for engineering projects including filing and data entry.
GIS Division - Student Intern II
The position is to help support the business systems used by the Water and Sewer Department. There will be emphasis on routine to moderately complex GIS work including field and office data gathering, organizing, ArcMap editing, and data analysis. There may be additional tasks involving our Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and / or our sewer CCTV program and the integration between all. There may be opportunities supporting other divisions in the department. Human Resources - Student Intern I/II/III
This position will support the Department's initiative to go electronic and move all employee and recruitment files into LaserFiche. The position will primarily review, scan, and file documents into the LaserFiche repository. The selected incumbent will need to be detail orientated, organized, and have the ability to follow set processes and procedures. This position will have the opportunity to learn more about City benefits, recruitment structure, and may assist with other tasks to support the Department.
Positions currently open are for Student Intern II and III. Student Intern I’s are encouraged to apply for future consideration should positions become available. This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
As an as-needed employee, this is an "at-will" position and there is no guarantee of hours. Hours are limited to 999 in a fiscal year or 960 hours in a fiscal year for retired CalPERS annuitants. THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL MULTIPLE POSITIONS IN THIS, OR OTHER DIVISIONS OR DEPARTMENTS BESDIES THE POSITIONS LISTED BELOW. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN EMPLOYMENT IN THIS CLASSIFICATION, YOU SHOULD APPLY TO ENSURE YOU ARE CONSIDERED FOR ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES THAT MAY UTILIZE THE APPLICANTS FROM THIS RECRUITMENT. MEETING THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS DOES NOT GUARANTEE ADMITTANCE INTO THE EXAMINATION PROCESS. ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WHO DEMONSTRATE THE BEST COMBINATION OF QUALIFICATIONS IN RELATION TO THE REQUIREMENTS AND DUTIES OF THE POSITION WILL BE INVITED TO TEST OR INTERVIEW.
To view the complete list of duties, view the class specifications:
- Student Intern I
- Student Intern II
- Student Intern III
Education and Experience:
- Student Intern I: Current enrollment in a high school or an alternative vocational high-school working toward high school equivalency with the minimum completion of the 10th grade.
- Student Intern II: Current enrollment in an accredited college or university in an undergraduate program.
- Student Intern III: Current enrollment in an accredited college or university for completion of a Master’s degree.
Acceptable Substitution: None. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test. Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of Santa Clara will not sponsor, represent, or sign documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to use computers and its related applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Student Intern I - $17.20 -$18.72
Student Intern II - $20.15 - $24.50
Student Intern III - $23.17 - $28.18 Additional Information:
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Applications must be filled out completely (i.e. do not write “see resume or personnel file.”) To receive consideration for the screening process, candidates must submit a 1) Cover Letter expressing your interest to work as an intern and why you are specifically interested in the internship opportunity with SVP, 2) Resume, 3) Upload your verification of course/program enrollment or proof of Summer/Fall enrollment.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Application packets may be submitted online through the “Apply Now” feature on the job announcement at www.santaclaraca.gov . This position is continuous or open until filled: Applications will be reviewed on a bi-weekly basis for consideration to the position. If you are interested in applying you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, before the position is closed.
The City of Santa Clara is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings will be considered without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful under any federal, state or local laws. The City of Santa Clara is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at (408) 615-2080 or HumanResources@santaclaraca.gov .