CAREER DESCRIPTION SR. IT APPLICATIONS DEVELOPERCorrectional Health Services
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective June 28, 2024 - 4.25% increase
Effective June 27, 2025 - 4.00% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public and will be open for a minimum of five (5) business days and remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59p.m. (PST) on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment will establish an open
eligible list. This list will be used to fill current and future Senior Information Technology Applications Developer positions with this specialty. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. THE AGENCY
The County of Orange , Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five (5) service areas - Strategy and Special Projects, Mental Health and Recovery Services, Correctional Health Services, Medical Health Services and Public Health Services - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES
The Correctional Health Services (CHS)
program is comprised of two separate entities. One is for the adult inmates and the other is for the juveniles. The CHS program provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education, and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care and provides mental health services including 24-hour emergency triage and crisis intervention, suicide prevention, treatment beds, individual and group therapy, substance use counseling, medication assessment and discharge planning to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities. The Juvenile Health Services program has two clinics-Juvenile Hall Health Clinic and Orangewood Family Health Clinic. THE OPPORTUNITY
CHS seeks an experienced and results-oriented technology professional to serve as primary application developer. The Sr. IT Applications Developer will provide dedicated technology support for CHS. This position plays a key role in the development and maintenance of various critical applications. This position will research new technologies, as well as adhere to established software development policies and standards, while also assisting in the creation of such standards, processes, and policies as needed. This position will provide support to clinical and administrative operations through the development of processes associated with the Electronic Health Record (EHR) application and a number of related systems in place at CHS.
The general duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Write complex application design specifications and documentation using flow diagrams schematics
- Use complex programming languages and other analytic techniques and tools at an advanced level to develop statistical and machine learning algorithms and analytical and predictive models, and data visualizations using systems such as RStudio and Tableau
- Work with large databases based on Oracle, Snowflake and SQL Server that includes structured and unstructured data, and include activities such as data processing, cleansing, and verifying and validating overall quality
- Maintain and provide strong functional correctional health domain knowledge towards the development of analytical reports and dashboards
- Work closely with program staff, program management and IT staff to develop and contribute to overall scopes of work for recurring large projects, detailed project activities, and definitions of expected outcomes, and help convert these into standard project documentation and develop complex design specifications for the development staff
- Assist with difficult and complicated business workflow design and improvements as they relate to supportive systems
- Conduct ongoing impact and risk analysis, and work with stakeholders and vendors as necessary to plan and mitigate
- Develop and maintain strong operating knowledge of the electronic health record system, and provide advice, support and guidance as needed on data collection, use and analysis through this system
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, or a closely related field and five (5) years of experience in software development using the tools noted below, data analysis and modeling using the tools noted below, and technology project management preferably within a healthcare environment. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following core competencies: Information Technology Knowledge | Information Technology Systems Experience
Data Analytics | Data Science
- Experience with Electronic Health Records (EHRs)
- Understanding of and experience with Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) framework and related tools
- Understanding and developing software in a full life cycle environment
- Understanding and application of Agile development methodologies
- Conducting data mining, conditioning, reporting and analysis
- Troubleshooting on complex application function problems
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical models to data, including machine learning and natural language
Leading | Project Management
- Conducting and coordinating tasks related data analytics activities
- Applying qualitative and quantitative methods to develop and support data analysis and testing of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data to identify, analyze and interpret trends and patterns in complex data sets
- Identifying research data needs and methods for data gathering, extracting, integrating and preparing for data analysis using data science principles
- Acquiring data from primary or secondary data sources and maintaining databases/data systems
- Filtering and "cleaning" data by reviewing reports and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems
- Interpreting data, analyzing results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports
Relationship Building | Effective Communication Skills
- Leading a team on complex application development projects
- Mentoring and providing technical assistance to project team members
- Leading research for new technologies, in creating and maintaining processes and procedures
- Developing coding standards for staff
- Assigning and monitoring the work of project team to accomplish project goals and objectives
- Developing and delivering effective written and verbal communication with various audiences
- Creating rapport and negotiating with department staff/vendors to correct or mitigate contract performance issues or conflicts
- Communicating technical and complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Working with business users to gather requirements, write functionality, and technical specifications
- Meeting with CHS Programs to determine their business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements. Become familiar with operational workflows to serve as an integrator between business needs and technology
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Senior IT Applications Developer classification as well as the physical & mental requirements and the environmental conditions.NOTE:
Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Services (N.A.C.E.S.). SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS & ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- Incumbents must NOT have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.).
- The Correctional facilities is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents may be required to be on-call or occasionally work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays.
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step. Structured Oral Interview | SOI (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings . Please click here to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. E mail Notification Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Gazala Yerunkar 714-834-3205 or email@example.com .
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
In addition to the County's standard suite of benefits, such as a variety of health plan options, annual leave and paid holidays--we also offer an excellent array of benefits such as a Health Care Reimbursement Account, 457 Defined Contribution Plan and Annual Education and Professional Reimbursement. Employees are provided a Retirement Plan through the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS).
Please go to the following link to find out more about Defined Benefit Pensions and OCERS Plan Types/Benefits.
Click here for information about benefits offered to County of Orange employees.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous