Position Description Open Date: July 26, 2021 Final Filing Date: Continuous Exam #21/50U42/07RUT SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Clinic Services Bureau operates eight clinics and two satellite clinics, including the Alisal Health Center, Seaside Family Health Center, Monterey County Health Clinic at Marina, four Laurel Clinics located in Salinas, which include Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Vista and Pediatrics, as well as the NIDO Clinic and two Bienestar behavioral health integration clinics in Salinas and Marina. The Clinics offer care to the medically underserved population of Monterey County. The mission of the Clinic Services Bureau is to provide access to high quality medical care to all residents of Monterey County regardless of their ability to pay.
The Health Department's Clinic Services Bureau is seeking permanent and temporary Medical Assistants to work in a fast-paced environment to provide direct patient care, physician support services, assistance with medical examinations, basic laboratory procedures, operate an electronic medical record program (EPIC), schedule appointments, and register patients in one of the Monterey County Health Department clinics. The clinics are in Salinas, Seaside and Marina and provide family medicine, women's health, internal medicine, pediatric, behavioral health, and specialty services.
The Temporary Medical Assistant (Temp MA) positions include opportunities to work within the clinics as described above or to work in conjunction with the Clinic Services Quality Improvement (QI) team to improve health outcomes and performance metrics for various clinics Work will include patient outreach by phone / video / text, patient scheduling, lab and referral order follow up, completion of screening questionnaires, coordination of patient care with outside agencies, identification of patient barriers to care and follow up actions required, as well as extrapolating and updating data in the clinic Electronic Medical Record system, EPIC. Depending on staffing needs, Temp MA positions may also be used to cover leave of absences or vacancies at one or more clinics in Salinas, Seaside, or Marina. The Temp MA positions are funded through March 31, 2023.
The Eligible List established by this recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies on a regular full-time, part-time, or temporary basis.
Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Thorough Knowledge of:
- Vital signs, including normal temperature, blood pressure reading, and respiration of healthy adults, adolescents, children, and infants.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation methods, practices, and procedures.
Working Knowledge of:
- Outpatient patient procedures
- Appropriate equipment required in performing specific medical procedures.
- Basic medical and nursing terminology.
- Proper operation of electrocardiograph equipment.
- Policies and procedures employed in intake, transferring, and exiting a patient.
- International Classification of Diseases, 9th revision or later; and Current Procedural Terminology, 4th revision or later; diagnosis and medical visit coding and billing and statistical preparation.
Some knowledge of:
- Procedures, practices and requirements for patient charting and outpatient procedure coding.
- Communicate clearly and follow oral and written instructions.
- Perform EKG's; give medications, draw blood, administer skin tests and immunizations; measure weight, height, and blood pressure; perform basic lab tests to include hematocrit, hemoglobin, urinalysis, stool tests, etc.
- Perform clerical functions, such as, scheduling appointments, answering telephones, typing, and filing.
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
- Recognize potential problems and make corrections.
- Prioritize similar and/or conflicting responsibilities and tasks.
- Establish and maintain a warm and caring atmosphere with injured and ill patients from diverse social and cultural backgrounds.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted through the course of work.
- Proactive and take initiative
- Independent Worker
- Clear and effective communicator
- Establish and maintain a warm and caring atmosphere with patients from diverse social and cultural backgrounds
- Provide excellent customer service to patients in all interactions
Examples of Experience/Education/Training MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Pursuant to the state of California Business and Professions Code, §2069 and §2070 and Administrative Code, Sections §1366 and §1366.1, Medical Assistants shall possess of a valid California Medical Assistant Certificate. SPECIAL QUALIFICATION
Ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish required these positions. Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates must complete and receive a passing score on the bilingual oral examination prior to employment. REQUIRED CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and during times of disaster or emergency.
- Successfully pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Appointing Authority with the ability to be bonded. The Health Department will conduct thorough background and reference checks which include a Department of Justice fingerprint check. The Applicant will be required to execute a consent and waiver for the background investigation.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at: 50U42.pdf (monterey.ca.us)
Additional Information TO APPLY :
Submit the following to theMonterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906:Final filing date: Continuous.
- Monterey County Employment Application form
- Valid Copy of a Medical Assistant Program Certificate of Completion (copy must be submitted with application)
- Response to the Supplemental Questions
Please be aware if the application form and responses to supplemental questions are not submitted timely with other required application materials, the application will be removed from further consideration.
Or apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty Resumes may be submitted in addition to, but will not be accepted in lieu of, required application materials.
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
BENEFITS: The County offers an excellent benefits package (H Unit)
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or "H" MOU prevails over this listing.
See Paydays: (monterey.ca.us) for more information (H Bargaining Unit Benefit Summary Sheet)Equal Opportunity
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment and cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you believe you possess a disability that would require accommodation, please call the Human Resources Analyst at 831-755-4618.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.