About Our Job
This posting is for Traffic Operations, Office of Encampment Management, Solid Waste Management, Street Maintenance, and Wastewater Management departments, all within the City and County of Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure, and services. For more information, please visit the DOTI website .
DOTI’s Commitment to Equity:
- DOTI is committed to providing attention and resources to the areas, assets, and people of the city with the greatest need through equitable contracting, equitable investments, and equitable workforce development.
- DOTI’s culture revolves around four key principles: (1) Invest in Our People, (2) Operate with Discipline, (3) Use Data to Drive Decisions, and (4) Deliver Results.
Solid Waste Management provides trash collection service, hazardous waste removal, recycling, and a composting program. The agency’s Graffiti Removal Program removes graffiti from private and commercial property and the public Right-of-Way.
Street Maintenance is responsible for filling potholes, repaving streets, sweeping streets, and removing snow from public streets and alleys. This division also manages the City’s asphalt plant, which produces asphalt for resurfacing and maintaining city streets and alleys.
Wastewater Management oversees all aspects of wastewater functions, including the construction, operation, maintenance of the City’s sanitary and storm systems, and responding to customer inquiries regarding sewage and storm drainage service charges.
Traffic Operations team is responsible for the operation, maintenance, installation, and emergency repair of traffic control devices. They also operate the Transportation Management Center and are responsible for signals, electronics repair, utility locates, sign installation, sign manufacturing and pavement markings.
The Office of Encampment Management provides trash collection services and hazardous waste removal from Encampments for people experiencing homelessness. This office collaborates with contracted companies, DPD, DFD, DDPHE, HOST, and the Mayor's office.
The Utility Worker II (full time and on call-part time) position will assist with general labor, safety, and related work tasks on a crew with Equipment Operators. DOTI offers great advancement opportunities to build within its agency and the City as a whole, making this a great place to build a career.
Job responsibilities and duties of the position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs semi-skilled and light to heavy physical labor on a variety of construction, maintenance, and repair projects
- Operates light weight equipment powered by small engines for maintenance and minor construction projects and patches asphalt and paved areas
- Lifts and empties heavy solid waste containers into disposal trucks, operates hydraulic compaction unit on city trash collection vehicles, and washes trucks as needed
- Performs minor repairs on gardening and grounds equipment, vehicles, and machinery including repairs of sprinkler systems and may design and fabricate equipment and tools as needed
- Places and removes barricades, cones, and other traffic control and safety devices in and around work areas for construction and maintenance projects in accordance with traffic regulation requirement
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of city of Denver streets/alleys and use of maps
- Valid Driver’s License preferred
- Willingness to work in inclement weather, road environments, dust, fumes, etc.
- Desire to follow a career path and promote to other positions within the department, such as Equipment Operator I, Equipment Operator II, etc. (We provide on the job training!)
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: None
- Experience Requirement: One (1) year of experience performing unskilled labor work.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement
- License/Certifications: R equires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. STREET MAINTENANCE and SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL ""B"") with appropriate endorsements to be obtained by the end of probation.
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
About Everything Else
CJ2041 Utility Worker II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$18.61 - $27.92
Based on education and experience
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.