POSITION OVERVIEW PN#30934 DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - BUILDINGS & SPECIAL PROJECTSPURPOSE OF DIVISION
The purpose of the Infrastructure Division is to manage the whole life cycle (planning, design, construction, commissioning, assessment of condition, modifying, replacing and decommissioning/disposal of physical and infrastructure Houston Airport System (HAS) assets consistent with environmental regulations and best management practices. In addition to the responsibilities related to physical assets, the Infrastructure Division manages the HAS portfolio of assets and resources, with a focused goal to improve project delivery to all Stakeholders. Overall, the Infrastructure Division's mission is to maintain and extend the effective life cycle of HAS's physical assets and replace them when it is no longer financially feasible to extend the life of these assets, or they no longer support required Airport mission requirements.
PURPOSE OF THE BUSINESS UNIT
Program Management and Delivery efficiently and effectively manages all phases of design, project management, construction, and internal infrastructure control (people, systems, and best management practices) to deliver all projects and initiatives on time, on budget, and with the level of quality that meets HAS standards to contribute to the success of the organization. The objective of the project delivery team is to increase productivity, collaboration, communication and reduce conflicts between owners, architects, and contractors during the construction of projects in the capital development program and major initiatives.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This position will provide oversight and management of the Project Management team responsible for the effective delivery of building related and special projects in accordance with the Capital Development Program for the Houston Airport System inclusive of three respective airports. They will serve as the specific point of contact for project management of all interior and exterior building and vertical related projects associated with the successful delivery of HAS Capital Development Projects as part of the Infrastructure Program Management Delivery Team. The successful candidate will set and continually manage oversight of the buildings and special projects management program while delegating and managing deliverables with team members and stakeholders. The position will be responsible for overseeing the work of no less than 8 project management professionals to include Senior Project Managers, Project Managers, Assistant Project Managers: communicating their progress to Senior management at regular intervals. Priority- Project Delivery Deputy Assistant Director shall be responsible for the Project Delivery function, for the full scope of work as is directed by the Project Delivery Assistant Director.
The Project Delivery Deputy Assistant Director shall have four primary areas of role responsibility:
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Delivery of the Building Related and Special Projects and Program
- Management of People/Teams
- Adherence to Process and Procedure
- Accountability for Program Management
• Manage status of project management and project progress and performance related building projects assuring all activities proceed on schedule, within scope, within budget, and at quality levels agreed to.
• Review initiatives for scope development recommendations made by staff, report risks, and maintain schedule in collaboration with Project Management, Quality Assurance Construction Management, Project Design, Project Controls for interior and exterior building, structural and special projects coordination at the program and project level.
• Review estimates and monitor building projects and programs costs. Manage and maintain building related programs budgets for HAS Capital building related projects for all phases, from initiation to closeout.
• Monitor building projects programs for risk and review with respect to Change Management process, and make recommendations as required.
• Provide on-site leadership for vertical, interior, and exterior related building program project management by motivating team members to meet project goals, adhering to their responsibilities and project milestones. Prepare performance reviews, identify, and provide opportunities for staff development, and other personnel matters.
• Develop and deliver progress reports, requirements documentation, briefings, and presentations to various audiences, including project team, sponsors, business community (i.e., Industry Day), Director of Aviation and other internal and external key stakeholders.
• Acts as liaison to other departments, government agencies and the private sector for specific projects within the vertical, structural, building related programs and special projects. Facilitation of collaborative communication between all internal and external stakeholders of the HAS Projects as a part of the overall Capital Development program.
• Manage resources, schedules, financials and adhere to quality guidelines in alignment with project and contract guidelines to ensure that vertical, structural, building related programs and special projects related projects progress on time and on budget. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS EDUCATION:
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field.EXPERIENCE:
Seven years of progressively more complex/responsible administrative experience are required, with at least three of the years in a supervisory capacity.
Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field closely related to the work being performed may be substituted for two years of experience. PREFERENCES
Preference will be given to candidates that possess:
• Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business Administration, or a closely related field. Aviation industry experience is highly desired. Professional Engineering (PE) license is a plus.
• Minimum seven (7) years demonstrated experience in management of complex, multiphase, capital programs, with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity.
• Project Management Institute PMP certification.
• Proven and demonstrated experience in implementing and managing a multi-project/program system for a major capital program of $5 million or greater.
• At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in managing teams with or without direct reporting responsibilities.
• Displays track record of proven success with schedules, cost control, estimating and risk-management.
• Knowledge of web-based program and project management systems.
• Demonstrated excellent written/verbal communications.
• Experience and knowledge of grant programs.**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.** GENERAL INFORMATION SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED:
All applicants will be expected to provide a professional writing sample.SAFETY IMPACT POSITION:
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.SALARY INFORMATION:
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in similar positions.
Pay Grade: 30APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 393-6027.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832) 393-6027. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.EOE - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.