JOB SUMMARY Hiring Range:
$63,477.74 - $74,679.69Full Salary Range:
$63,477.74 - $85,881.64
Under limited direction, the Senior Planner is responsible for the administration, review, and facilitation of the Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance, and Subdivision Ordinance. Depending on the assignment, the focus may include the review of development and zoning requests, demographics, long range planning and downtown planning.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Receives general direction from the Planning Manager.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Position does not exercise supervision of direct reports.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepares reports, studies, and policy statements related to research, surveys, and development standards for the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances; researches and prepares documents for future land use, development standards, demographics, population, transportation, and environment; makes recommendations based on findings.
- Manages, prepares, revises, and implements the Town's Comprehensive Plan as well as Downtown Master Plan. Coordinates with other departments and divisions to monitor the implementation of the plans.
- Interacts and communicates with developers, consultants, property owners, residents and the general public regarding ordinance information and code enforcement; provides excellent customer service.
- Coordinates and prepares informational materials and placement of development plans and zoning exhibits on an agenda for the Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council; attends and participates in various meetings and conferences.
- Provides technical review and analysis of private and public development proposals; identifies issues or potential problems and presents alternative solutions; conducts site inspections to ensure compliance with zoning ordinances and Town codes.
- Reviews and releases development or zoning plan requests to Engineering and Building Inspections; researches and drafts amendments and ensures appropriate implementation.
- Reviews, coordinates and releases pending projects with departments related to results of Board of Adjustment/Construction Board of Appeals, Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council meetings, and coordinate preparation of development agreements.
- Authors and revises development standards, presents new and revised standards to the Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council; enforces codes and requirements.
- Conducts public hearings and receives statements and recommendations related to proposed changes and implementation of various ordinances.
- Conducts routine comparative surveys and research of various municipal codes and development regulations.
- Negotiates with applicants to achieve desired development standards.
Perform such other duties as assigned.QUALIFICATIONS
Knowledge of :
- Federal, State, and Town zoning and urban planning regulations, ordinances and codes.
- Research, analysis, interpretation, implementation, development and enforcement of complex legal, development, planning and zoning proposals.
- Long and short term planning forecasting, developing, and implementing.
- Downtown planning.
- Town policies and procedures.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Computer skills using Windows, Microsoft Office applications, Internet, Adobe Acrobat and conversion techniques, Microsoft Outlook, Bluebeam Revu, and ArcGIS.
Ability to :
- Make clear and concise presentations during Town Council, Planning & Zoning Commission, and other board meetings.
- Prioritize and organize various assignments in order to produce efficient results.
- Operate standard office equipment, digital camera and light meter.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Provide tactful and appropriate responses to inquiries from the public, other departments or agencies.
- Establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Plan, recommend, develop and implement public policies and procedures related to urban planning and zoning.
- Mediate, negotiate, advocate for political, environmental, enforcement agencies and resolve customer complaints and concerns.
Experience and Education Guidelines :
- Three (3) years of urban planning, urban design, zoning project development, and/or zoning enforcement.
- Must pass MVR check.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening and background check.
- Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration or related field.
Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
License or Certification :
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification preferred.
- Must possess a current and valid Texas driver's license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Employee must have ability to maintain concentration in the midst of interruptions and background noise.
- Work may be performed in the outdoors in all extremes of weather.
This job description is not an employment agreement, contract agreement, or contract. Management has exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.ADDITIONAL DETAILS