Description ***This recruitment is eligible for two hiring incentives *** The $6,000 recruitment incentive shall be paid in equal installments for the first twenty-six (26) consecutive biweekly pay periods in the position.
The $6,000 relocation incentive (if applicable) , shall be paid in equal installments for the first twenty-six (26) consecutive biweekly pay periods in the position. Termination from employment will result in any remaining cash incentive payments being forfeited. Incentives are subject to El Dorado County personnel rules. THE COUNTY OF EL DORADO
T he County of El Dorado is committed to promoting the power of public service by fostering a diverse and collaborative workplace where employees are empowered, respected, and valued. The dedicated efforts taken by the Board of Supervisors continue to promote El Dorado County as a competitive employer that is committed to recruiting and retaining qualified employees by advocating for competitive salaries and excellent benefits. The County of El Dorado is also supportive of providing telework opportunities for employees consistent with business needs and in accordance with Board of Supervisors Policy E-12 - Telecommuting. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The County of El Dorado , Department of Transportation is responsible for funding, designing, building, operating, and maintaining the County Road System. El Dorado County's Road System currently consists of approximately 1083 centerline miles of paved roadway, 76 bridges, a multitude of storm drainage systems, and related transportation facilities. ENGINEERING DIVISION
The Engineering Division provides planning, design, and construction management services within the unincorporated area of El Dorado County. Responsibilities of the Division include: delivering capital projects from initial planning phases through design and construction and post-construction environmental monitoring. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Sr. Engineering Technician has an opportunity to perform complex technical engineering support work both in the field and in the office. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Use AutoCAD Civil 3D to prepare plans and details for a variety of civil projects, including road, bridge, drainage, and utility improvements.
- Develops, proposes, and implements solutions to engineering, drainage, traffic, safety, and environmental/erosion problems, including completion of drawings, and coordination with other government agencies.
- Collects field data for topographic mapping, right-of-way information, boundary control, and horizontal and vertical control networks and performs office reduction of field data, preparing requisite maps and documents
- Performs construction contract administration on the most complex projects, including preparing Contract Change Orders, auditing of contractor claims, computing appropriate compensation, labor compliance and negotiating agreement with contractors.
- Performs construction inspection and reviews change orders.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and carries out Encroachment Permit functions and activities, including resolving of citizens complaints and inquiries.
- Coordinates and performs materials sampling and testing for construction inspection, including the training of laboratory and inspection personnel.
- Compiles, composes, and produces Engineering and Traffic surveys, including gathering of field data, researching of records, and presentation of recommendations and solutions to concerned parties and investigation of citizen complaints. Has responsibility for traffic records, database, and map information.
- Identifies necessary property acquisitions including researching information regarding the preparation of grants of easement, easement acquisition agreements, certificates of acceptance, quit claim deeds, subordination agreements, and right-of-way abandonment resolutions.
- Administers agreements between County and private development.
- Prepares specialized erosion control project site improvements/acquisitions grants and supporting documents.
- Represents the County at mandatory pre-bid, pre-construction, and informal field meetings.
- Reviews and comments on Environmental Impact Reports and other development proposals.
- Makes a variety of complex engineering and mathematical computations.
- Uses a computer and electronic calculator to solve a variety of engineering related problems.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records, correspondence, technical or narrative reports.
- Coordinates California Conservation Corps (CCC) projects including preparation of designs and specifications, ordering of materials, and supervising and training crewmembers.
For a full description of duties and responsibilities please review the job description here .
Our Ideal Candidate will possess advanced knowledge and experience with Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) and possess the ability to complete plans and details for a variety of civil projects. The candidate will be committed to using his or her full skill set and technical expertise in creating contract document drawings and other graphic exhibits for internal and external customers. The candidate will understand when to implement creative solutions while adapting to changing standards and regulations. Our ideal candidate will be able to work independently, demonstrate a high attention to detail, and establish positive working relationships with County staff and others. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Human Resources will assess your application to determine if you are minimally qualified using the following minimum qualifications:
Where college degrees and/or college course credits are required, degrees and college units must be obtained from a regionally accredited college or university. Courses from non-regionally accredited institutions will not be evaluated for this requirement.
Four years of engineering or technical support work at a level equivalent to the County's Engineering Technician.
Equivalent to completion of two years of college, possession of an Associate of Arts/Science degree in a pre-engineering or closely related curriculum, or possession of a valid California certificate as an Engineer-In-Training may substitute for two years of the required experience.
Completion of college-level courses in geometry, algebra, and trigonometry is highly desirable. **Unofficial transcripts and/or proof of certification must be attached to application.
NOTE: The above qualifications are typically accepted ways of obtaining the required knowledge and skills. Other Requirements:
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work overtime and off-hour shifts in emergency situations.
Click here to view the minimum qualifications for Sr. Engineering Technician as well as the physical, environmental, and working conditions. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Apply online by clicking the 'Apply' link at the top of this announcement. When your online application and responses to the required supplemental questions are complete, click 'Accept '.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Jenny Thomas in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Human Resources Department will screen all applications to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred biweekly to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment process.
Supplemental questions play an integral role in this recruitment process. Please take the time to provide thoughtful and thorough responses. The information you provide may be used to determine your ranking for referral to specific vacancies. All work experience that is described or included in your response(s) MUST be included in the "Work Experience" section of your application. Do not refer to a resume or other documentation.
For more information on the recruitment process, click
Based on the department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The County of El Dorado is recruiting applicants for the Sr. Engineering Technician. This recruitment will establish a list for the purpose of filling current and future full time, part time, limited term and extra help vacancies for at least three (3) months.
- There is currently one (1) full time vacancy in the Department of Transportation located in Placerville, CA.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
The County of El Dorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Many job classifications require a pre-employment medical screening. Depending on the job classification, medical screening may include testing for drugs, including but not limited to marijuana; a positive test may result in revocation of an employment offer.
Not just rustic mining towns and historic sites - Today El Dorado County is a year-round vacation destination overflowing with outdoor adventure, inviting agritourism, enriching family activities, and a proud Gold Rush history. Escape the traffic and smog because El Dorado County is just:
- 40 miles from Downtown Sacramento
- 50 miles from Sacramento International Airport
- 129 miles to San Francisco
Here are a few of the many activities and events available throughout El Dorado County:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
- Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Live Music and Music Festivals
- Local Craft Breweries and Wineries
- El Dorado County Fair
- Placerville Speedway
- Farm to Fork Restaurants
- Local Shopping Gems
Closing Date/Time: Continuous