The Job Up to $1,500 in Recruitment & Remote Assignment bonus available upon hire in a High Desert assignment.
The Animal Care Division
within the Department of Public Health (DPH)
is recruiting for Animal Control Officers
who work in shelters and in the field to ensure compliance with State and County animal regulations. During training, Animal Control Officers serve under close supervision while acquiring skills and experience to prepare for the job. Positions may be assigned to various locations throughout the County. Duties include, but are not limited to: patrolling an assigned geographic area and enforcing State and County regulations concerning the care, treatment, impounding, and quarantine of animals; picking up and impounding stray, sick, injured, unwanted, abandoned, and diseased animals; picking up and disposing of dead animals; issuing notices and citations as required; performing euthanasia of sick, injured, or unadopted impounded animals; conducting preliminary investigation of reported animal abuse; and testifying in court, as necessary.
The current vacancies exist in
the High Desert
and San Bernardino
area. The list established from this recruitment will be used to fill the current vacancies and may be used to fill future vacancies throughout the County as they occur.
For more detailed information, refer to the Animal Control Officer job description.
- Recruitment and Retention Bonus: Bonus payment up to $2,000 in total compensation may be available for newly hired employees from this recruitment.
- Remote Assignment Bonus: Bonus payment up to $2,000 in total compensation may be available for newly hired employees assigned to a remote area from this recruitment.
Please refer to the Teamster Local 1932 MOU to review eligibility criteria for these bonuses. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Animal Euthanasia: Applicants must be able to perform euthanasia of sick, injured, or unadopted impounded animals.
- Travel/License: Travel throughout the County is required. A valid California Class C driver license and proof of automobile liability insurance are required and must be maintained throughout employment.
- Availability: Must be available to work on weekends and on-call/call-back duty. Applicants must indicate availability on the Application or will be disqualified.
- PC 832 Training: Employees must complete a training course in arrest and firearms, which also includes a physical agility test component within eighteen (18) months of hire or be terminated. Note: Some criminal convictions may preclude applicants from completing the Penal Code 832 course.
- Uniforms: Employees must purchase their own uniforms; those in regular positions will receive an annual uniform allowance.
- Background Investigation: Applicants selected for these positions must pass a background investigation and verification of employment history and education.
- Physical: Must be able to lift and restrain small to very large animals, both domestic and wild, which may weigh up to 100 pounds.
- Weather: Applicants must be able to perform duties in inclement weather.
meet one (1)
of the following options
Six (6) months of full-time equivalent experience interpreting, explaining, and enforcing rules and regulations for a public agency.-OR-Option B:
Six (6) months of full-time equivalent experience in animal handling/care working in a veterinary clinic, animal shelter, or kennel operation.-OR-Option C:
Possession of a Registered Veterinary Technician Certificate issued by the State of California. If applying under this option, indicate certificate number on the Supplemental Questionnaire, or include a list of completed coursework required to be eligible for the certificate.Selection Process
The online examination
will consist of an evaluation of knowledge and skills on the following topics:
- Animal Control Techniques & Regulations
- Written Communication Skills
- Public Relations
Details of the online assessment process will be emailed once the recruitment has closed. All communications regarding the remainder of the selection process will be via email .
Please be sure the email provided on this application is always current; it is your responsibility to update your personal information. Update your Spam, Junk, Bulk and Firewall settings as needed to ensure that you receive all information pertaining to this recruitment. IMPORTANT:
The ability to take pre-employment tests online is a privilege. Be aware that applicants may be required to take parallel versions of these tests in a proctored setting in order to confirm their identities as the original test takers. Application Procedure :
Applications will be accepted until a sufficient number of qualified applications are received. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as this recruitment may close at any time. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the application and/or supplemental questionnaire.
To ensure timely and successful submission of your online application, please allow ample time to complete and submit your application before the posted filing deadline. Applicants will be automatically logged-out if they have not submitted the application and all required materials prior to the posted deadline. Once your application has been successfully submitted you will receive an onscreen confirmation and an email. We recommend that you save and/or print these for your records. Please note, if you do not receive an onscreen confirmation and an email acknowledging our receipt of your application we have not received your application.
If you require technical assistance
, please click HERE to review the Government Jobs online application guide , or contact their Toll-Free Applicant Support line at (855) 524-5627. Please note that Human Resources is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by the internet connection, computer or browser used to submit the application. EEO/ADA:
San Bernardino County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant employer, committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants. ADA Accommodation:
If you have a disability and require accommodations in the testing process, submit the Special Testing Accommodations Request Form within one week of a recruitment filing deadline. Veterans' Preference:
Eligible veterans and their spouse or widow(er) who are not current County employees may be awarded additional Veterans' Preference points. Click here for information and instructions to request Veteran's Preference points. Please click HERE for important Applicant Information and the County Employment Process .