Introduction Please note: Effective June 18, 2023, the salary range will be $14.19 - $20.63.
At Scottsdale Public Library, our mission is putting people at the heart of dynamic library services. We recognize we are a work in progress and invite you to consider joining us in our efforts to achieve this mission.How we put our patrons at the HEART of what we do:
We continually work towards being consistent in providing quality services and leaving our patrons feeling good after interacting with us. We like to keep things light by bringing fun and a little weirdness into the library. We place the highest value on making sure patrons feel comfortable being their authentic selves in our spaces: in the library building, out in the community, or online. The library promotes belonging everywhere.How we put you at the HEART of what we do:
We trust you to learn the position and make it yours. Our organization prefers genuine learning and a few wrong turns over perfection. We want your unique personality, your way of thinking, and your questions to add to the make-up of how we serve. Just like with our patrons, we place the highest value on making sure you feel you can be your authentic self. We support individuality and believe that a healthy work-life balance produces the best environment for serving our community.
Read on if our mission and work culture resonate with you.About The Position:
The ideal candidate has customer service experience and is comfortable working with a wide range of age groups including parents, young children, teens, adults, and seniors; can work independently and as part of a team, and takes pride in maintaining a neat and orderly library for patrons. The Library Page accurately checks in using a computer or automated sorter, re-shelves library materials; searches and pulls materials from various computer generated lists within the collection; and assists library staff with opening and closing the library. The Library Page should have the ability to regularly work a varied schedule including evenings and weekends.Please note the following:
- Part-time positions have limited benefits, as required by law.
- Part-time positions are unclassified, at-will and serve at the discretion of City.
- Interviews may be conducted periodically throughout the duration of the continuous job posting.
- The job posting may close without notice if a sufficient number of qualified applications are received.
- Your application may be used to fill vacancies in branches throughout the Scottsdale Public Library system.
- Candidates who successfully pass the interview will be placed on an eligibility list. As vacancies are in need of being filled, the hiring supervisor may contact you for a follow-up interview before extending an offer.
- Your application will be kept on file for six months from the date it was submitted. If you do not receive a turndown email after your application has been submitted and/or after you have been interviewed, you have most likely been added to the eligibility list. It is not unusual for a candidate to remain on the eligibility list and not receive an offer - please be patient as the hiring supervisors are anxious to fill their vacancy with the best candidate.
- It is only necessary to submit one application; duplicates will not be considered, nor will they increase your chances of being selected to move forward in the process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
Licensing, Certifications and other Requirements
- Any combination of training, education, and experience required to perform the job.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Sorts and shelves materials in all areas of the library as accurately and quickly as possible.
- Uses computer system to check-in returned items, create paging list, and search for missing items.
- Empties book drops; checks in and sorts materials as assigned.
- Regularly neatens tables, carrels, and public seating areas to provide an inviting atmosphere for customers.
- Assists in Circulation including issuing library cards and staffing drive up window as needed.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description.The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Lifts crates of books weighing up to 40 lbs. and pushes a fully loaded book cart weighing up to 300 pounds.
- Works evening and weekend hours on a regular basis. Must be able to work a varied schedule.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.